Beauty & Fashion
6 Tips for Dealing With Acne From Someone Who Has Been There
Written by Bethany Howell | February 17, 2016
Don’t get me started on how hard it is to deal with acne. Teasing, rude stares and embarrassment are really not exciting.
What is acne?
Acne is a skin condition characterized by red pimples on the skin, especially on the face, due to inflamed or infected sebaceous glands. Basically it’s the oil glands getting angry and flaring up, and it ain’t pretty.
Here are some tips on dealing with acne.
1. Find out your skin type.
Knowing your skin type is great for working out what will and won’t work when it comes to skincare products. Research to find out, or ask your doctor. (I’ll come back to this later.)
2. Know your allergies.
When you’re allergic to nuts, you check to see if your snack has nuts in it, right? Well, it’s the same with skincare. I’m allergic to normal sunscreen, so I have to use sensitive/toddler sunscreen. I recently bought a new moisturizer with SPF 15+, forgetting that I’m allergic to the sunscreen in it, so now I’m sitting here writing this with a big reaction on my face. Moral of the story: Know your allergies.
3. Use the right skincare products.
Helpful skincare products for acne:
- Cleanser – use morning and night, every day
- Exfoliator – use twice a week
- Moisturizer (light) – use morning and night, every day
- Spot treatment – use when needed, maximum of twice a day
- Face mask – use once or twice a week
Do not—I repeat, DO NOT—just walk into the drugstore and pick up the first moisturizer you see. Here are four things you should look for in a skincare product:
- It suits your skin type.
- It doesn’t contain anything you’re allergic to, or toxic ingredients. (Find out more here.)
- It has an affordable price.
- Stick with ONE brand, because the products will then be formulated to work together in the war to defeat acne.
Some brands to try, and one to avoid:
- TRY: Simple; Formula 10.0.6 (amazing brand, affordable and it works, too); Neutrogena.
- AVOID: Proactiv. This is the brand I tell everyone to avoid. Very harsh chemicals. People say it works, but the chemicals can kill.
4. Stick to a routine.
The best tip I can give you is to persist. Stick to your routine. Use the tips above, and create your own. Make a poster with your routine on it, and stick it someplace where you will see it. Mark it on a calendar…do it however you want!
5. Look at your diet.
Your diet actually affects your skin. A couple of things to avoid are:
- Dairy – can cause inflammation. AVOID!
Also, be sure to drink lots of water.
6. Don’t squeeze!
This is pretty straightforward. DON’T SQUEEZE PIMPLES AT ALL! It will leave you with red scars. Ugh.
Hope these skincare tips help! If you have any questions, leave them below and I’ll try to get back to you.
Thanks for reading, my lovelies! Stay faithful!