7 Bad Reasons for Dating
Written by T.M. Gaouette | January 31, 2017
Do you feel like everyone you know is dating? Do you believe that dating is the answer to your problems?
There is a time for everything, including dating. Unfortunately, our society encourages us to do things in order to fit in or fill a void. And when we do something at the wrong time and for the wrong reasons, including dating, it usually has negative consequences.
Yes, there are bad reasons for having a boyfriend, and here are some of them:
- You’re lonely. You’re tired of feeling alone, and having a boyfriend would fill that void and give you someone to hang out with or go places with.
- All of your friends have boyfriends. Everybody’s doing it, right? So, shouldn’t you get in on the action, too? Shouldn’t you date, too, so that you’re not the odd one out? The third, fifth, seventh wheel?
- You want to feel loved. A boyfriend will put you first. He’ll give you gifts on Valentine’s Day. He’ll be there for you when you’re feeling down or upset. He’ll be on your side, defending you, loving you and thinking about you.
- You want to feel worthy. If you have a boyfriend, then that will prove that you are worth something. Having a boyfriend will validate you as a person and prove that you’re as worthy as all the other girls out there who have boyfriends.
- You couldn’t say no. Maybe the guy you’re dating asked you out and you didn’t want to hurt his feelings. Who knows, maybe you’ll grow to like him that way?
- You want to make someone jealous. Maybe it’s another guy you like or it’s a girl you don’t like, and dating this guy will hurt them. Dating’s no big deal, right? After all, you can break up with this guy when the job’s done.
- You need a rebound. You broke up with another guy and it hurt, so you opt to date someone else to ease the pain. Or maybe you want the guy who broke up with you to know that you’ve moved on.
Ladies, do you want a boyfriend for the wrong reasons?