7 Great Ways to Avoid Temptation
Written by T.M. Gaouette | July 21, 2015
Ladies, temptation is everywhere, and it seems more so in the world we live in today. Unfortunately, much of the temptation we face is offered by those closest to us, such as our friends, peers and even family.
It’s definitely not easy being a Christian devoted to God and His Word. But it is possible. Once you come to terms with the truth that temptation is everywhere, you need to learn the best ways to avoid it.
Here are seven tips that are worth trying.
- Don’t hang out with people who go to places of temptation. If your friends do things that are sinful or hang out in places that go against your faith, then you may have to seriously reconsider those friendships, especially if their will is stronger than yours and you’re easily tempted by them.
- Avoid places where temptation is prevalent. The Lord’s Prayer, which Jesus gave to us Himself in Matthew chapter 6, states, “And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.” We should be very aware of the places we go and the people we are with so that we are not faced with temptation.
- Put your trust in God. Recognize that you can’t overcome temptation alone, so put your life in God’s hands and pray that He keeps you safe and far from temptation. Pray also that should you be confronted with it, He will provide the strength for you to overcome it. 1 Corinthians 10:13 is clear, so read it and remember it.
- Read scripture daily. By feeding on God’s Word, you will be nourished daily by Truth. This will empower you to not only avoid temptation in your daily life, but also will strengthen you when you’re faced with unexpected temptation.
- Recognize your weaknesses. You know your weaknesses. You know those things, people and places that pull you away from God. Well, take a hold of your life and your devotion to the Lord and avoid them.
- Don’t test temptation. Don’t try to be bigger than it by deliberately confronting it with a false belief that you can overcome it. Maybe you can, but what if you can’t? Why put yourself in that position?
- Don’t lose hope. God doesn’t expect you to be perfect, but He does want you to try. When Jesus said, “Sin no more,” He proved that we can live a righteous life. This is reiterated in 1 Timothy 6:11: “But as for you, man of God, shun all this; aim at righteousness, godliness, faith, love, steadfastness, gentleness.” Righteousness won’t be easy. Stay strong. Stay close to God and never allow temptation to win.
Let no one say when he is tempted, “I am tempted by God”; for God cannot be tempted with evil and he himself tempts no one; but each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire. Then desire when it has conceived gives birth to sin; and sin when it is full-grown brings forth death. (James 1:13-15)
Ladies, do you have a great way to avoid temptation?