7 times American Idol Got VERY Real With Christianity
Written by Dave Herrmann | May 11, 2015
After 15 long years of success, Fox has announced that American Idol will be coming to an end. Yes, you heard right! The popular singing show, which featured Ryan Seacrest and a slew of other celebrities, has finally run its course. It has been on TV for as long as many of you can remember! It’s all some of you know! In honor of the show, we’ve pulled together 7 times when American Idol got VERY real with Christianity.
1. Mandisa’s epic forgiveness of Simon Cowell after his not-so-kind comments about her weight. Come on! If only we could all be as humble and awesome as she was in her comeback! Go Mandisa!
2. Moriah Peters and how she stayed true to herself and God. God honored her commitment by giving her an AMAZING husband in Joel Smallbone from for King & Country. May we all honor our commitments to God in the face of hostility.
3. Phillip Phillips “Home” is like that worship song every youth group and Younglife event sang. You quoted it on Instagram, Tumblr and, well, everywhere else. It’s a very real and honest take on our faith, even though it’s not even about that, at least we don’t think it is. “Settle down, it will ALL be clear. Don’t pay no mind to the demons they fill you with fear….”
4. Chris Daughtery’s “Home” (no relation to the above) FINALLY put you on that level playing field as your non-Christian friends at school. They all knew it, they were all singing it. It was so awesome.
5. Colton Dixon’s experience is a reminder that sometimes God closes doors for a reason. Colton’s testament to His faith and his commitment to fulfilling God’s desires is very real, and it’s something we all need to do!
6. Scotty McCreery’s “God-moments” could be one epic TV show we’d pay to watch. But, for real, Scotty’s faith and his openness to discuss it is an inspiration to us all.
7. Jason Castro’s struggles with who he was in Christ and who he was to his family is something we all probably have struggled with in our own lives. Jason’s such an amazing man of God.
This is just a few stories where God showed up on the reality show, we’re just picking out some of our favorites. The show was and still is full of amazing followers of Christ. From Carrie Underwood to Jason Castor, from Jordan Sparks to Colton Dixon, every season seemed to have a Christ follower at the center of it all.
Who was your favorite artist on American Idol?