My whole family has been through a lot the past few months. My dad became very sick and was in critical care for a month before he passed away. This whole situation has been very draining and stressful to all of us. I thought I would share some of my tips to cope with stress.
- Make yourself a cup of hot tea. You can choose from hundreds of different kinds. I would suggest chamomile before bedtime or if you are really stressed out. Green tea is said to ward off anxiety and be a mood lifter. Make sure you brew your own cup instead of buying bottled tea because you will receive more antioxidants from freshly brewed.
- Write down your thoughts. Pick up a journal and start writing down anything! Writing is a great way to unleash your feelings and develop creativity. You can write stories, letters to God, prayers, or general thoughts. Also, drawing or doodling can help take your mind off things.
- Don’t overdo the caffeine. I know up there I wrote about tea, but coffee drinkers beware! Limit the amount of java you consume daily. Consuming too much caffeine can increase your anxiety and send nerves over the roof. Stay away from energy drinks!
- Be still. Find a quiet place in your home, backyard or a park. Sit or lay down and relax. Pray about what’s bothering you. Sometimes you need a little solitude to calm down. Bring your Bible with you. Take everything that’s bothering you before God. Here’s a little scripture about quietness: “Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed” (Mark 1:35).
- Talk to a close friend or relative. Having heart-to-hearts with loved ones can really lift your spirit. Make sure this is a person with whom you can be 100% honest and open.
- Exercise! Go for a walk, swim or any type of movement. Turn on some favorite music and dance around while cleaning up your room.
- Try to eat a balanced diet. Add in fresh veggies and fruits to your diet if you don’t already eat them.
- Read the Bible! Dig into Psalms–they can be very comforting to read. Check out Psalms 23; this is a good passage to memorize. And remember to put on the full armor of God every day!
Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people (Ephesians 6:10-18).
Written By PI Fan, Allison