Back to School
8 Ways to Make Your Dorm Room Feel More Like Home
Written by Julie Partin | September 17, 2015
A dorm room can feel like a cold, boring place—but it doesn’t have to be that way! Here are eight ideas to make your dorm feel more like home. If you feel comfortable in your room, you will get better sleep, study more often and likely do better in your classes.
1. Hang photos! Of course, plastering the walls with the faces of the ones you love will make you happy. Try a photo or frame collage of friends and family. We love the printed-out pictures turned into shapes because prints are so inexpensive and you don’t have to be worried about putting any nails or attachments in the walls.
2. Add yummy scents. Smell is the closest sense tied to memory. While most dorms don’t allow candles, many allow warmers and diffusers. Scentsy is a great option. So stock up on that ocean breeze or apple spice—just make sure your roomie loves the smells as well!
3. Make your bed nice and cozy. Sleep is one of the most essential things that many college students neglect. Every part of your life from your health to your grades will be affected if you don’t get proper rest. So make sure you have a comfortable sleeping space with properly fitting pillows, egg crates or memory foam pads, and an awesome comforter or blanket.
4. Decorate seasonally. Make sure you celebrate the seasons like your family does at home! Pick up a couple of fall, Halloween, Christmas, etc., decorations. It will make you happy to see them, and other girls on the floor will love them, too.
5. Take some things from your room at home. There is no reason to leave your lifelong lovie behind! You may feel a little embarrassed breaking it out at first, but if it comforts you, then it should live in your room with you. You can even leave it in a drawer and pull it out during times you’re feeling lonely or need an extra snuggle.
6. Ask your mom to borrow a few items of decor. If there is a particular throw pillow, piece of art or figurine you have always loved in your home, see if your mom will loan it to you for a semester or two. She will probably be delighted that you will be thinking of her. However, don’t take anything fragile or extremely expensive because dorm rooms are small and even special things get broken and lost frequently!
7. Add some curtains. Of all the interior design you can do on such a small room, adding lightweight curtains will make the biggest difference. The room will suddenly feel like a hotel or, better yet, your room at home that you adore.
8. Spring for the mini fridge. If you don’t have one already, consider going in with your roommate or finding a used miniature refrigerator. You’ll be surprised how refreshing it is to have your own snacks and drinks on hand. It might even end up saving you time and money if you eat a meal a day (like breakfast) in your room.
Does your dorm room feel like home? What other tips do you have?