To have faith is to believe in God, but it can be tough to have faith in a world lost in man-made desires and needs. Even many Christians are adrift and Christ’s message is lost in ambiguity.
It’s not always easy to maintain faith in a God that most people don’t even know anymore. So how can we renew our faith? Check out this list of ways to renew your faith this new year!
- Attend church and/or youth group. Attending church on a regular basis is one of the best ways to renew your faith. In essence, church is where you learn about your faith. It instills lessons and keeps you up to date with your faith. The same applies to attending a youth group.
- Select music, movies and books carefully. The media plays a major part in turning our focus away from God and toward Godless ideals. It’s full of violence, promiscuity, deception and so many other Unchristian elements. And the truth is that, consciously or unconsciously, you instill within you the media you consume, whether music, movies or books. This is why selecting Christian media helps you turn back to Christ and renew your faith. “I will not set before my eyes anything that is worthless. I hate the work of those who fall away; it shall not cling to me.” (Psalm 101:3)
- Choose close friends wisely. Your close friends also play a huge part in your faith. If you hang out with people who are not devoted to Christ–whether they’re Christian or non-Christian–then you will likely take part in things that are unChristian. When you hang out with believers, these relationships will bring you closer to God. “Do not be deceived: ‘Bad company ruins good morals.’ (1 Corinthians 15:33)
- The world around you is such a wonderful way to renew your faith. Why? Because it’s the perfect reminder of God’s creation. Pay attention to nature and the amazing wonders that only The Almighty could have created.
- Evangelize. As Christians, we are called to share God’s Word. In sharing His Word, we are understanding Him better, which, in turn, brings us closer to Him. “But in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect.” (1 Peter 3:15 )
- Pray. Prayer is a private conversation with the Lord. And you can do it any time. Your relationship is strengthened with prayer, because it’s a reminder that God is always there when you need Him.
- Do good for others. When you do good for others, then you are living a Christlike life. And when we behave in a manner that is Christlike, we get a taste of who Christ is. And what better way to renew your faith in Him?! “Whoever says he abides in him ought to walk in the same way in which he walked.” (1 John 2:6)
- Read the Bible. How can you understand your faith, let alone renew it, if you don’t read the Word on a regular basis? And that doesn’t mean reading it from front to back and then putting it away. It means reading it throughout, and then reading it on a regular basis, and then referring to it often. The Bible relates to everything in your life. People who say that the Bible is too old to relate to today’s world are wrong. Until God comes up with a revised version of the Bible, my guess is that this is the version we should be living by. So read it, understand it and live by it!
The above list may seem all-consuming, but God must be number one in our lives. Therefore, the best way to renew your faith is to surround yourself with Christ. We may get lost in the world, but if we hold onto Him, we will always be able to find our way.
Ladies, do you feel that you need to renew your faith? Do you have a tip that could help your fellow PI Girls? Please share with us, we love to hear from you!