9 Giving Ways to Spend, by PI Girl Lexie
Written by Jesus_chick_529 | April 13, 2014
Whether it was just your birthday or you gained some cash from babysitting in the past few months, sometimes you receive a little extra money and may immediately want to spend it on that new purse you’ve been eyeing.
First, remember that when in doubt, the best idea is to SAVE that moola! However, occasional careful spending isn’t such a bad thing (believe me, shopping is my favorite sport!). Yet, while it’s okay to treat ourselves to a special something on occasion, we must remember that materialistic items only give us a temporary sense of happiness.
In the Bible, Proverbs 23:4-5 says, “Do not wear yourself out to get rich; have the wisdom to show restraint. Cast but a glance at riches, and they are gone, for they will surely sprout wings and fly off to the sky like an eagle.” I believe God is telling us that the riches and materials that we obtain only stick with us for so long. However, in a similar way to how God blesses us with gifts to use for His glory, we can use money in a Christ-like manner, and the cool thing is, it gives us a DEEPER and LONGER-LASTING feeling of satisfaction because these ways touch the heart.
So if you’ve got a little extra money that you’re itchin’ to spend, consider these ideas:
- Donate money to charity.
- Buy some school supplies and send them to an organization that helps out third-world countries. I did this a few years ago through an organization known as Fabretto. Maybe check out World Vision, where Nicole sponsors her children!
- Save up the money for a few years and then see if you can get a missionary trip organized (this will take a lot of planning, but I know from experience that it is SO worth it!).
- Take your family out to dinner for a special event! Is mom or dad’s birthday coming up soon?
- Do some crafting for a cool cause! Use the money to buy fabric for quilts or pillows that you can make for animal or homeless shelters.
- Organize a neighborhood ice cream trip. This works out better if you can drive, but if not, definitely ask your parent or guardian to drive you and some of the neighborhood kids to Dairy Queen and treat the kids! Of course, only invite the number of kids that you can afford to pay for.
- Do Star 99.1’s Drive-Thru Difference. I have yet to try this idea from this northern East Coast radio station, but some of my friends have. The next time you’re at a drive-thru, you pay for the person behind you by giving the cashier the money and a note from the Star 99.1 website explaining everything! (Don’t live on the East Coast? You can write your own little explanatory note!)
- Buy some new books to donate to children’s hospitals. Even stuffed animals and coloring books would work (just call your local hospital ahead of time to check).
- Buy a Bible for someone! Do you have a friend who just became a Christian? Or even a family member? Maybe you have just recently introduced someone to our Lord and that person seems interested! Yay! Celebrate with the beautiful gift of the Word of God!
Remember that it’s always better to give than to receive. Acts 20:35 says, “In everything I did, I showed you that by this kind of hard work we must help the weak, remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said: ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’”
Have any other cool ideas? Feel free to share!
Written by PI Girl Lexie
Do you have words of wisdom you want to share with the PI community? Submit your own article here!