Back to School
9 Great Study Hacks for Your Next Exam
Written by Project Inspired | September 11, 2014
We’ve all been there: books open, music quietly pumping…and nothing but distraction. Well, we at PI understand your pain and want to help. Read on for nine time-saving, memory-crunching hacks that should help you on your next exam.
1. Study EARLIER in the day. This one I learned while in college and it benefited me a lot. Think about it—most students are in class during the day or, well, sleeping. The earlier you study, the less distractions you will face. Trust me.
2. Bring your notes to the gym. This requires coordination, but I can assure you there is something about moving and studying that gets the mind going.
3. Study out loud. For some reason this one worked VERY well for me, especially in classes where you needed to memorize things. Try this, but in a place where you can be loud, like your dorm room.
4. Listen to video game soundtracks. Can’t study without music, but lyrics make it hard to concentrate? Look up video game soundtracks—they are meant to keep you focused.
5. Pray. One of the best study hacks I can share with you is to pray before you begin. It helps focus your mind, trust me.
6. Create a study guide or flashcards. Did you know that writing something out is the memory equivalent of reading it SEVEN times in a row?
7. Study in small pieces. Coming home from class? Study the notes you just took. Break up your studying into smaller increments more days in a row. That way, when the test is announced, you’ve already done most of the heavy memory lifting.
8. Quiz yourself on what you just studied. Get together with a classmate at Starbucks after you’ve studied something and quiz each other on the material. Not only is this productive, but you get to make new friends like that!
9. Take a time-out! I call this my social minute. I study for 25 minutes, then take five minutes to do something else that isn’t studying. It helps break things up.
Girls, what have you found that works for you when you’re studying? Share with us below!