Beauty & Fashion
9 Quick and Easy Styles for Curly Hair
Written by Kytia Lamour | March 10, 2018
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. (Psalm 139:14)
If you’re reading this, you probably have curly hair. And if you’re anything like me, you may have had a hard time loving your wild ringlets. Growing up as a mixed kid in the ’90s and early 2000s wasn’t easy because the array of hair products available today wasn’t present in your local beauty supply shop back then. I had a hard time accepting my hair as God created it to be after being told by my peers that it was too “poofy” and “frizzy.” That stigma stayed with me, so I was straightening my hair up until a year and a half ago.
Would you believe it took a little soul searching to finally understand how great my curls are and to not envy everyone else who had hair they could “tame”? Whether your hair is pin straight or perfectly textured for a ‘fro, understand that you’re BEAUTIFUL! It’s fine to experiment with styles, textures and colors, but make sure that your motivation isn’t to dismiss your natural beauty because you think it’s not good enough.
Now that that’s out of the way, let’s move on to my favorite go-to hairstyles! Whether you’re running out the door for school or heading to an event and want an effortless look, one of these styles for curly hair could be perfect for you.
1. Middle part. I love the way this style frames the face and gives a youthful and carefree vibe. Pick your curls out if you need more volume.
2. Side Part. For a little flair, move your part over to create a different shape and add a tad more sophistication.
3. Partially Pinned. This is similar to the style above, but pinning the side back makes room to show off an amazing pair of earrings.
4. Tucked Away. Sometimes we want the flow of our curls, but need them to stay out of our face. This style is the perfect middle ground.
5. Side-Swept. For a more dramatic look, pin all of your hair to one side. You can even place a cute clip or flower on the side to dress this up.
6. Super Pony. The average ponytail can get a bit boring from day to day. Spice things up by clipping the front of your hair up separately to add lots of volume.
7. Wrapped Up. Playing with accessories can take a frumpy style and give it new life. Try scarves with various textures and patterns for a different vibe.
8. Halo. I love this style because I can get my bangs out of my face, but still have the volume and framing of big, bouncy curls.
9. All Pinned Up. This takes some muscle, but after you’re done pinning up all sides of your hair, you’re left with a chic style featuring glamorous faux bangs.
It wouldn’t be fair if I didn’t give you a step-by-step tutorial of how I created these looks, would it? Press play below to watch me create all nine styles.
We’d love to hear from you, PI Girls! Which style is your favorite, and when are you going to try it out for yourself?