A Quick Guide to Staying Strong When People Try to Bring You Down!
Written by Nicole | December 5, 2011
Mean people suck. Often times when we try to do something we’re passionate about- there’s always that one negative person that tries to bring us down. But check out these five productive tips to leave them by the wayside, so you can take control and shine!
1. Focus on the outcome! When you get stuck in the moment and someone is criticizing you for not doing something right, think of the long-term goal of why you’re doing what you’re trying to do. For instance, mine is working on this website- when I get a comment saying that I’m being “Unchristian” or something negative, I try not to let the comment affect me because my ultimate goal is to inspire people. What’s your goal?
2. Don’t Quit. Adding on to the last tip: It’s too easy to just throw up your hands and decide to stop doing what you love because someone tries to bring you down. If you quit, you’re only letting the other person get the best of you and you won’t be living up to your fullest potential!
3. Look at it from their point of view! You might be thinking, “Why would I want to do that when they’re the one who’s wrong?” So often people waste their time criticizing you just because they have excess time on their hands. The reason could be that they don’t understand your point of view, or you aren’t communicating in the most effective way. Looking at it from their perspective gives you insight into how you can better your stance on a particular subject.
4. Don’t worry about conforming to the crowd. Everyone wants to fit in and be liked. But when someone steps up and speaks out for their beliefs, people are quick to attack and criticize because it’s going against the grain. So don’t be afraid of being the only one, your courage in standing up for what you are passionate about will subconsciously allow others to do the same. You’ll be a new role model!
5. Have some guts! It takes a fearless attitude to make things happen for yourself- because life can be scary. So don’t worry about the potential negative outcome, because chances are it won’t even happen!
What do you do that helps you overcome mean spirited people?