My previous post discussed five steps for a healthy dating relationship. Here are some more tips on how to have happy and healthy relationships.
- Continue to put God first. God gets upset when we put anyone or anything before Him. In fact, Jesus says, “Anyone who loves his father or mother more than me is not worthy of me” (Matthew 10:37.) This means that we shouldn’t put any relationship before our relationship with God. Therefore, make sure that you’re not making time with your boyfriend a priority over prayer and Bible study time.
- Don’t lose yourself in your relationship. New relationships are fun and exciting but don’t forget who YOU are in the process! Continue to do things outside of the relationship. Don’t neglect friends or hobbies that you enjoy. Remember, your relationship is a part of your life but it shouldn’t be your entire life.
- Be courageous. 2 Timothy 1:7 says, “For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline.” You’re God’s girl and He’s counting on you to stand firm during temptation. Remember, you CAN say no! Just think about how good it feels when you stand up for what you believe in.
- Discuss disagreements when you’re calm. You and your boyfriend won’t always agree about everything and that’s okay! However, disagreements should be handled with love and kindness. Remember, it’s impossible to take back angry words once they’ve been spoken. Consider making an agreement with your boyfriend to only discuss disagreements when you’re both calm.
- Make sure your relationship is balanced. Yes, it’s important to be loved and respected, but it’s equally important to love and respect your boyfriend. This means allowing him to have the space that he needs in the relationship! For example, if you find yourself getting upset every time he wants to hang out with the guys, consider whether the relationship is balanced. Are you giving your boyfriend room to nurture his own friendships and hobbies outside of the relationship? Instead of getting upset, maybe you could take these opportunities to do things for yourself!
What are some things that you do to make sure that your relationships are healthy and happy?