All I think about these days is my crush and I’m having a hard time focusing on anything else! What should I do when boys become a distraction?
It’s absolutely okay to be attracted to boys. God created males and females to be attracted to each other, so it’s natural for you to notice guys. However, when your crush starts to be the center of your world, it could become problematic. Here are a few tips to help:
- Remember who you are and to whom you belong. God should always be first in your life. If you see you’re so focused on getting the attention of boys that you begin to take time away from God, then it’s probably time to reevaluate your priorities.
- Consider if your crush has become your idol. An idol is anything or anyone that you put before God. If you’re spending more time daydreaming about your crush than you are in fellowship with God, then God is probably quite displeased. Exodus 20:4 says, “You must not make for yourself an idol of any kind or an image of anything in the heavens or on the earth or in the sea.” If you find yourself neglecting prayer, Bible study, or fellowship with God because you want to hang out with your crush, then you’re probably idolizing him.
- Schedule time with God. Choose to meet God every day. Just like you put school, homework time and time with friends into your schedule, put Bible study and prayer into your schedule, too. I prefer to pray in the morning because then I can hear from God better throughout the entire day. Put time with God into your schedule at a time that is right for you so you’ll be consistent. You’ll find that the more you commune with God, the more easily you’ll be able to avoid distractions.
- Limit time with boys. Remember, it’s okay to be attracted to boys and enjoy their company, but if they’ve become a distraction, you may want to decide to limit how much time you spend with them. Choose to spend time with guys only on Friday or Saturday nights, for example. Then spend the rest of your free time with family and female friends. You might even decide to find some new activities to occupy your time and attention. Keep doing this until you’re more focused again.
- PRAY. I can’t emphasize enough how important it is for you to pray when you’re faced with temptations or distractions of any kind. Ask God to strengthen you so you can balance your priorities.
These are just a few tips to help when boys have too much of your attention. Do you girls have any more ideas?
More Stories Like This on Project Inspired:
Ask Aysha: “When It Comes to Kissing, How Far Is Too Far?”
Ask Aysha: “What Should I Do If My Parents or Friends Don’t Believe in God?”
Ask Aysha: “I Told My Crush I Like Him and Now It’s Awkward. What Should I Do?”