Bible Study: 10 Verses to Read When Struggling With Lust
Written by Christi Given | January 23, 2016
If you struggle with lust or lustful thoughts, I pray God helps keep you with the washing of the Word, and that you can cleanse your mind of the things that bombard the youth and society today with social media, TV, magazines, movies and more. So much comes at us and not all of it is Godly or pure. The Bible says if you look at a man with lust, you’ve already committed adultery in your heart (Matthew 5:28)—which shows the seriousness of how God looks at purity and also reveals that purity is not necessarily always based on an action, but can be a condition of the heart. Here are 10 Bible verses regarding lust, passion and purity.
1. 2 Timothy 2:22: “So flee youthful passions (or lusts) and pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace, along with those who call on the Lord from a pure heart.”
2. Matthew 5:8: “Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.”
3. 1 Corinthians 7:9: “But if they cannot control themselves, they should marry, for it is better to marry than to burn with passion.”
4. Psalm 51:10: “Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me.”
5. Song of Solomon 8:4: “Daughters of Jerusalem, I charge you: Do not arouse or awaken love until it so desires.”
6. Hebrews 13:4: “Marriage should be honored by all, and the marriage bed kept pure, for God will judge the adulterer and all the sexually immoral.”
7. Colossians 3:12: “So, as God’s own chosen people, who are holy [set apart, sanctified for His purpose] and well-beloved [by God Himself], put on a heart of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience [which has the power to endure whatever injustice or unpleasantness comes, with good temper].”
8. Proverbs 4:23: “Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it.”
9. Galatians 5:19-21: “Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.”
10. Matthew 5:28: “But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman/man lustfully has already committed adultery with her/him in his heart.”
PI Girls, comment below for prayer requests, or write down other verses to help you stay pure in the Lord.