Bible Study: 10 Ways to Go Deeper in the Word of God This Year
Written by Christi Given | February 8, 2016
Now that we are in a new year, many people have New Year’s resolutions and goals. One of mine is to grow closer to the Lord and to deepen my faith. I thought you would be inspired to know 10 ways to grow deeper in your faith in 2016.
1. Be part of a Bible study: I am gathering with some friends this year to do a women’s Bible study on the book of Esther with Bible teacher Beth Moore. You can find a group through school (Christian club) or through your youth group. You can find good books online to study and/or deepen your faith. Some Bible studies even have workbooks that really help! Right now I am finishing one called Girls with Swords by Lisa Bevere, about putting on the full armor of God (Ephesians 6). A great example of a Bible study or book for teens is Lies Young Women Believe (And the Truth That Sets Them Free) by Nancy Leigh DeMoss and Dannah Gresh.
2. Make time: Set your clocks or your phone, or pen it into your calendar. We make time for everything else, but above all, we must make time for God and His Holy Word. Making time for hearing God’s voice is VITAL in growing deeper in the Word.
3. Stay connected: How can you grow if you don’t stay plugged into the vine? (John 15:5) We need to be plugged into the vine like a plant’s branch is connected with water to grow. Think of the Word as living water nourishing your soul. We need to stay focused on God’s Word so we can spiritually grow to make good fruit.
Likewise, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them. (Matthew 7:17-20)
4. Make flashcards: Memorizing scripture is very biblical; in fact, the Bible tells us to write God’s Word on our hearts and minds (Proverbs 7:3).
5. Post Bible verses on your room wall or in your binder: Posting scripture where it’s easily accessible will remind you of God’s truth more frequently, which will increase your faith and help you to go deeper.
6. Get a Bible app: If you have a smartphone or tablet, you can download a Holy Bible app and read it daily.
7. Find a reading plan: Commit to a reading plan or Bible study book and see how much you will learn. If you do download the Bible app, then there are reading plans with daily reminders, which totally help when you get caught up in the busyness of life!
8. Listen to podcasts: Do you prefer to learn by listening versus reading? Listen to your pastor’s sermons on your church website and help advance your knowledge of Jesus Christ.
9. Watch sermon videos: I love watching sermons from JUCE TV or itbn.org (the Trinity Broadcasting Network). They really have a variety of pastors and topics, and I really enjoy T. D. Jakes’ sermons, which are powerful. Check out the JUCE TV app—it also has a Bible reading plan included in the app—and/or download the TBN app to get the biggest Christian television network in the world right on your phone or tablet.
10. Listen to audio CDs: I’m currently listening to a pastor in my car via audio CDs from a dear friend of mine, and I am getting very encouraged and learning so much! This is a great way to learn, especially if you’re on the go all the time like me!
PI Girls, how do you grow deeper in the Word of God?