Bible Study: Is It a Sin if I Miss Church One Sunday?
Written by Christi Given | December 27, 2015
Is it sinful to not go to church on one Sunday?
For me, sometimes I just need to rest, and want to spend time with family or friends. Personally, I don’t think it’s horrible to miss one week of church; in fact, for your health you may need to have one sabbath day. You don’t want to be legalistic, but you also don’t want to get into the habit of skipping out on church and missing solid times of fellowship, learning the Word and so forth.
According to scripture, you are not to forsake the gathering of the body of Christ, but we also know life is a balance and we need to rest at times. Here are some verses on the importance of being unified in the body of Christ and staying connected to God and His Word.
1. Hebrews 10:25: “And let us not neglect our meeting together, as some people do, but encourage one another, especially now that the day of his return is drawing near…”
2. John 15:5: “I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.”
3. Ephesians 4:11: “And he gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the shepherds and teachers, to equip the saints for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ…”
4. Romans 12:5: “So we, though many, are one body in Christ, and individually members one of another.”
5. Acts 20:28: “Pay careful attention to yourselves and to all the flock, in which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to care for the church of God, which he obtained with his own blood.”
6. Exodus 20:8-11: “Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.”
7. Mark 2:28: “Therefore the Son of man is Lord also of the sabbath.”
8. Acts 2:1-47: “…then the day of Pentecost arrived, they were all together in one place. And suddenly there came from heaven a sound like a mighty rushing wind, and it filled the entire house where they were sitting. And divided tongues as of fire appeared to them and rested on each one of them. And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit gave them utterance. Now there were dwelling in Jerusalem Jews, devout men from every nation under heaven.”
9. Matthew 11:28-30: “Come unto me, all [ye] that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest…”
10. Romans 12:4: “For as in one body we have many members, and the members do not all have the same function…”
PI Girls, do you think it’s okay to miss church once in a while or do you consider it a sin? Comment below!