Often when I’m battling temptation or negative thoughts and feelings, it can be very difficult to remember who I am in Christ–who the Creator of the universe says I am. When things in life get stressful or hard, it’s tough to hear God over the negatives. That’s why it’s important for us to know what God says about us.
The things God says about us are so important that we should have them memorized! That way, we can pull them out as weapons to combat negative thoughts and feelings that try to overwhelm us during the hard times. So today, I’ve compiled a short list of some of the things God says about us, His daughters!
- God’s child – John 1:12-13: “But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, even to those who believe in His name who were born not of blood not of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God.” You aren’t just some tag-along after Jesus; you’re God’s child.
- A branch of the true vine, a conveyer of Christ’s life – John 15:1,5: “I am the true vine, and My Father is the vinedresser. I am the vine, you are the branches; he who abides in Me and I in him, he bears much fruit, for apart from Me you can do nothing.” I think this is my favorite because it reminds us that we bring the life that Christ offers to the rest of the world.
- Crucified with Christ – Romans 6:6-7: “Knowing this, that our old self was crucified with Him, in order that our body of sin might be done away with, so that we would no longer be slaves to sin; for he who has died is freed from sin.” How can sin have victory over us if we’re dead to it? We were crucified with Christ and that means we are dead to sin; sin has no power over a dead person. Think of it like being in the witness protection program–sin shouldn’t even know you’re alive.
- Friend of Jesus – John 15:15: “No longer do I call you slaves, for the slave does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all things that I have heard from My Father I have made known to you.”
- Temple of the Holy Spirit – 1 Corinthians 6:19: “Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and that you are not your own?” Remember that life-giving spirit that God breathed into Adam to give him life? Yeah, that’s the same Spirit that lives in you. When you accept Christ as your savior, God breathes that same Spirit into your heart where He sets up house. Is the temple of your heart decorated to receive such a distinguished guest?
Girls, when it feels like life or the enemy are trying to beat you up, remember these verses so you can tell the enemy who the Creator says that you are. If you have Christ in your heart, that makes everything the devil says about you false–no matter who you were before Christ–because you aren’t that person anymore.
Can you think of other things God says about us? Tell us in the comments and leave the Scripture for other girls to read, too!
He made Him who knew no sin to be sin on our behalf, so that we might become the righteousness of God in Him (2 Corinthians 5:21).
More Stories Like This on Project Inspired: