Okay, so you have a crush on a guy! Maybe you’ve known him for a while or you just met him. Either way, you really like him. But for whatever reason, you wish you didn’t like him. Maybe he’s not a Christian, is a bad influence, hangs out with the wrong crowd, isn’t interested in being more than friends or just isn’t someone you see yourself marrying. So now what?
It’s not easy getting a guy out of your heart once you’ve let him in, right? But sometimes the heart and the mind just don’t work together. Emotions take over, the mind runs rampant and it’s as if you’ve completely lost control of yourself. But ladies, don’t give up. There is a way out of the madness!
The truth is, once you realize that there is a guy for you—and that this guy isn’t him—then you really can get him off your mind and out of your heart. Consider the following to help you!
- Focus on your future spouse. You may not know exactly who he is, but you know who he’s not. Once you remind yourself of the kind of guy you do want to spend your life with, then you will recognize that anyone else is just in the way of you finding him.
- Place God at the forefront of your life. When you put God first, it puts your life in perspective and you’re reminded that no guy should be elevated above God. It also helps you realize that your life is God’s and He will put the right guy in your life at the right time.
- Read your Bible. Everything you need to know about how to live your life is found in the Good Book. Not kidding! So, rather than spending your spare moments—and those in between—pining over this guy, refocus your attention to your life as a whole. When you read your Bible and understand what God expects of you, then you’ll be easily excited about your life, what’s ahead and that you’ll be sharing it with the right guy.
- Pray for strength, because as you know, you can overcome anything with the strength of God, including that crazy emotion that’s associated with a crush and confused with love. Scripture reminds us that there is no temptation that we cannot overcome if God is our strength. Never forget that!
- Pull yourself out of the world and remind yourself of the life you intend for yourself. This goes hand-in-hand with reading your Bible. As you know, many of those in the world have lost their way. They’re lost in culture and trends and fashion, all of which are dictated by the media. They’ve forgotten what God’s life for us is all about and have settled on this life and immediate gratification. In order to understand God’s plan for us, we must pull ourselves out of this world, which is where the “be in the world, not of it,” comes into play. Don’t get sucked in!
- Train your mind to divert its attention away from the guy. Every time he enters your mind, redirect your thought. Think instead about God’s plan for you.
- Don’t settle. Realize that when you give yourself to the wrong guy, you’re just giving yourself away. And you’re missing out on the right guy!
Ladies, don’t get me wrong—it’s not easy to turn your heart off and refocus your mind! But it can be done, especially when you focus on God’s plan for you. When the right guy comes along, you will know, because there will be no doubt. You’ll know. So be patient and trust in God.
Here’s a song to help you. It’s by Jamie Grace and it’s called “Just a Friend.” I already posted this once on PI, but for those of you who missed it, here it is again. God bless you all!
Ladies, are you trying to get a guy off your heart and mind? Share your story. We love to hear from you!