The old saying goes “Nice guys finish last.” But when it comes to the man you end up with, the nice guy is the way to go. Sometimes the “bad boys” can be pretty enticing and hard to forget about, but let me make the case for the gentlemen who are kind.
Here are the biggest reasons why the nice guy should finish first when it comes to your heart. Read these simple sentences twice and let them sink in:
- If he is a nice guy, he will be nice to you.
- If he is a nice guy, he will be nice to your future family.
It may seem obvious, but it’s not until you are actually in the moment when you realize how amazing it is to have a man there who has your back—a guy who will take care of you when you are sick, never cancel on you because something better came up and stand up for you even when you’re not around.
When it comes to long-term relationships and marriage, it’s even more important to end up with a man with amazing character. Wonderful things lie ahead of you, but as is the nature of world, so does heartbreak. You need someone who will say their vows to you and mean it, and who is loyal, honest, Christ-like and nice.
How do you know if the guy you are dating or crushing on is a nice guy?
- He is kind to strangers. How does he treat servers at restaurants? Is he polite when someone accidentally cuts in front of him in line? The little reaction moments can tell a lot about what is going on inside someone.
- He is respectful of his parents. Does he listen to his mom and dad? Does he call them and value their opinions? Is he easy to get along with and willing to compromise during family activities? How he behaves in these long-term, immediate family relationships speaks volumes to how he will be as a father and leader one day.
- He is not two-faced. Does he act the same way around all people? Is his character and personality consistent when he’s with you, his friends, family, coworkers, etc.? Variation of comfort level is fine, but if he’s one person to someone’s face and another behind their back, that is a huge red flag.
- He is a loyal friend. Has he had the same friends for years? Is he constantly arguing with his friends or are they usually having fun?
- He is sold out for the Lord. This is the biggest one. A man seeking God’s own heart will naturally have the virtues of Christ. This should be the most important thing to him and a priority in your relationship.
The Bible is chock full of scripture about how men are supposed to love women, and all of them prove that “nice guys” are the way to go and make the best husbands:
- “Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her.” (Ephesians 5:25 ESV)
- “Husbands, love your wives, and do not be harsh with them.” (Colossians 3:19 ESV)
- “In the same way husbands should love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself.” (Ephesians 5:28 ESV)
Are you in a relationship with a nice guy? Back us up in the comments below!