Music & Culture
Christi’s Playlist: Britt Nicole, Hillsong United, Selena Gomez and More!
Written by Christi Given | May 2, 2015
Every month, singer and PI blogger Christi Given shares her top favorite Billboard songs on the Christian and secular charts!
What is Christi’s favorite song this month? Hmmm…it’s a tie between Lauren Daigle’s “How Can It Be” and Hillsong United’s “Touch the Sky.”
1. “Ready or Not” (Phenomenon Remix by Soul Glow Activatur) by Britt Nicole feat. Lecrae: You know I love Britt Nicole and, of course, my boy Lecrae! Also, I love the remix version and the lyrics! SO AWESOME!!! Get ready…or not!
2. “Come as You Are” (Live) by Crowder at Passion: I love the David Crowder Band and the lead singer’s vocals. The song is such a raw, truthful, encouraging worship song. “You’re not too far…lay down your hurt, lay down your heart…come as you are….” I love the violins and the drums in the song. PI Girls, remember: “Earth has no sorrow heaven can’t heal.”
3. “It Is Well” by Kristene DiMarco from Bethel Worship: I love worship leader and songwriter Kristene DiMarco, who, before she was married, was named Kristene Mueller (check out her first album, Those Who Dream…you won’t be disappointed). This song, “It Is Well,” is a revised and inspired version of the original hymn “It Is Well.”
4. “Touch the Sky” by Hillsong United: This new song is from the new album Empires from the Hillsong Church band originally from Australia. Pre-order the album now on iTunes and get a free download of this awesome track. If you are a fan of “Oceans (Where Feet May Fail),” then you will like this song!
5. “How Can It Be” by Lauren Daigle: This song touches my heart. I first heard it on Air1 Radio (92.7 FM in Los Angeles). This song is so anointed, powerful and touching…I just love the words. Keep your eyes and ears out for this new Christian worship artist.
6. “I Am Not Alone” by Kari Jobe: I just absolutely LOVE and adore Kari Jobe…she is a precious worship leader and songwriter. This song speaks to those who face loneliness and/or need truth to renew their minds. God loves you and is ALWAYS with you. Never forget this…God always goes before you (Psalm 129, Psalm 27, Psalm 73, Psalm 23, Psalm 91).
7. “Beyond Me” by TobyMac: TobyMac is a pioneer and Christian music legend, formerly in the Audio Adrenaline band and now a solo artist helping other artists as well, such as Jamie Grace, and her sister, Morgan Harper Nichols. This song is so cool and relevant because God is WAY BEYOND us and He is able to do exceedingly abundant things beyond what we can imagine (Ephesians 3:20)! Hope you enjoy this track…it’s pretty epic!!!
8. “Good Fight” by Unspoken: Again, a shout out to Air1 Radio (Southern California)—YOU ROCK! I love this Christian radio station because they show me the most awesome songs!!! This guy reminds me of Gavin DeGraw and reminds me of Jimmy Needham as well. This song is a great encouragement to continue to run the race of faith.
9. “Drops in the Ocean” by Hawk Nelson: I love this song—it reminds me that God’s love is so deep and wide. This band is comprised of four members: David, Jon, Daniel and Micah. Check them out online and on iTunes. Diamonds is their latest album. I love the lyrics: “…look at my hands, look at my side…[referring to Jesus] don’t think you need to settle for a substitute when I’m the only love that changes you…and I am for you, I’m not against you.” Wow, SUCH powerful lyrics! I love this song, and Hawk Nelson keeps putting out great music! They are a new band to keep your eyes on! Check out their official website to learn more about them.
10. “The Heart Wants What It Wants” (Live) by Selena Gomez: Did you see Selena’s performance of this song at the 2014 American Music Awards? It’s crazy…she seems to be more of a Christian lately, because if you watch this performance, it looks like she says under her breath, “Thank you, Jesus.” I know this song is secular technically, but I think it is truthful about the importance of guarding our hearts. YOU, PI Girls, are God’s daughters!!! Know that no matter what happens with boys, GOD IS THE ALMIGHTY PRINCE FOR YOU. Do you like this song?
PI Girls, what is YOUR favorite song on my list? Comment below!
God bless you, PI Girls! I love you all! Jesus loves you EVEN MORE!
Contact Christi on social media and ask her questions, send prayer requests or ask for advice: