Music & Culture
Christi’s Playlist: February Mix with Carrie Underwood, Toby Mac, NEEDTOBREATHE and More!
Written by Christi Given | February 26, 2015
PI Girls, every month I share my favorite songs with you that I am listening to and that I love! Sometimes I will share new artists—most will be Christian gospel artists, but some will be secular if I find a positive song that will encourage you! Enjoy my new playlist, and God bless you!
1. “This Is Living” by Hillsong’s Y&F (featuring Lecrae): As many of you know, Lecrae is my favorite Christian hip-hop artist and I love Hillsong worship music! Not only is this a great song, but it combines two of my favorite music genres and worship leaders! So cool! Check out the hook where Lecrae raps…SO RAD!
2. “All You Had to Do Was Stay” by Taylor Swift: I love Swift’s new pop sound, but I’m not gonna lie, I do miss her country songs with the banjo acoustic influence. But I get that she is making a change in her career. One of my favorite songs off the album 1989 is this one because I like the harmonies, the pop influence and also the lyrics!
3. “Messengers” by for KING & COUNTRY (featuring Lecrae): This song won a Grammy at the Grammy Awards this year! It was a big year for the brother duo for KING & COUNTRY, as they won a couple of Grammys, and also another victory for Lecrae, who helped write the song. So awesome! Keep it up, messengers!
4. “Every Breaking Wave” by U2: I am a huge U2 fan and love Bono’s voice and tone. Their music is always high-quality and is effective in the messages that they send. I love the production of their music and it somehow always really moves me more than other artists. They definitely are a favorite…this song is really moving. I hope you enjoy!
5. “Beyond Me” by TobyMac: Another one…T-Mac just keeps producing and going…what an amazing leader and world changer. Love the humbling message that this song sends…truly, we can do nothing without Christ, and also God is really beyond us in all that He does, amen?
6. “Kings & Queens” by Brooke Fraser: You may remember Brooke’s hit “Something in the Water” or “Shadowfeet,” but more recently she released her newest album, Brutal Romance. One of the songs from the album I absolutely love is this track. Hope you enjoy, and take a look at her music online, you won’t regret it! She rocks. Not to mention she is amazing live! I just went to her concert for the first time at The Fonda in Hollywood.
7. “Multiplied” by NEEDTOBREATHE: I love this song, which reminds me of a band like Kings of Leon, but Christian. This is an awesome folk acoustic pop song, which reminds me of some of the newer emerging mainstream artists you may hear on secular radio. Are you fans of NEEDTOBREATHE?
8. “VIP” by Manic Drive: This song tells the message that you are God’s “Very Important Person” and that you are royalty! You are God’s daughter and you have a significant purpose in life. You will LOVE this song!!
9. “Something in the Water” by Carrie Underwood: Many of you know this song if you are up to date with Carrie and country music, but for those who don’t, Underwood released this song about baptism. It is so powerful! She even talks about Jesus’ sacrifice and even quotes lyrics from “Amazing Grace.” Way to shine your light, Carrie, in a dark industry! Keep it up!
10. “Who I Am” by Blanca (from Group 1 Crew): Blanca has decided to go solo and is starting her solo career. I love the new song she released, which is now on Air1 Radio! Check it out—I know you will love the message and will be blessed! The lyrics are SO powerful, talking about how we belong to The Lord! We have a sure foundation in Jesus, amen?
PI Girls, what’s YOUR favorite song? Comment below!