Music & Culture
Christi’s Playlist: January Mix from OBB, Lecrae, Francesca Battistelli and More!
Written by Christi Given | January 17, 2015
PI Girls, every month I share my favorite songs with you that I am listening to and that I love! Sometimes I will share new artists—most will be Christian gospel artists, but some will be secular if I find a positive song that will encourage you! Enjoy my new playlist…oh, and happy 2015! God bless you!
1. “Made New” by Lincoln Brewster: I love the message of this song. “You are my salvation, I will not be moved…you’re the strength of my life, I won’t fear.” Also, the video has an inspiring and uplifting message of redemption and salvation. This band kind of reminds me of the band One Republic. Check it out!
2. “Start a Fire” by Unspoken: I love this new band and the lead singer’s voice reminds me of Gavin DeGraw. You will love this upbeat pop rock song.
3. “He Knows My Name” by Francesca Battistelli: I LOVE the lyrics to this song—they are so true! “God knows our name, He calls us ‘chosen, free and forgiven.'” Love the words of TRUTH! “I don’t need my name in lights, I’m famous in my Father’s eyes…He KNOWS my name!” Hallelujah! PI Girls, do you like this song?
4. “Background” by Lecrae (featuring C-Lite, aka Andy Mineo): I love this city-based music video with Andy and Lecrae. I love how these two talented artists have risen to the top of their game and have been living witnesses for God’s glory. Don’t think rap can be used to minister the Gospel and share someone’s testimony and heart? Think again, because Lecrae and Andy Mineo (formerly known as C-Lite) have done just that. I love the lyrics to this song: “Just let me shadow you, let me just trace your lines, matter fact just take my pen, yeah, you create my rhymes…’cuz I’m scared if I succeed, I will no longer trust in you ‘cuz I’ll just trust in me. You see that’s how you end up heading to destruction…me, I just roll and trust you, you cause the dice to land.” Watch the epic video here! This is an older video, but is still a goodie! Be blessed!
5. “Not Forgotten” by Ryan Stevenson (featuring Toby Mac): This guy is a newer artist to me, but is one to keep your eyes out for. Toby Mac helped Jamie Grace and now is helping Ryan, so share this video and support this new musician! I love the lyrics in this song: “We are not forgotten, we are not alone…He is holding us, and He’ll never let go…Jesus…We’re counting on you.” I heard this song for the first time on Air 1 Radio, my new favorite Christian radio station! It is so awesome! Check it out.
6. “Boundary Lines” by Chris Tomlin: This track is a new one off of Tomlin’s Love Ran Red album, just released in 2014. I heard this song on New Year’s, and have to share that if you are with God and honor Him, the Bible says He will make your paths straight. The “boundary lines” will fall in pleasant places for you.
7. “It Was Love” by Abandon: I have to say I definitely have been blown away by this band—they have such a unique, set-apart sound. This song is precious. Check it out.
8.) “All Eyes on You” by OBB: I love this song about focusing on The Lord and giving HIM all the glory! The brother duo is rising on the radio plays, especially on stations like Air 1! I love the lyrics: “Let me step aside and put your name in lights…let me be a reflection of your truth…all eyes on you! I was blind, but now I see…no matter where I am, no matter who I’m with…all eyes on you.” Powerful! Amen! You’ll love this techno-pop song! Get ready to dance and sing!
9. “Furious Love” by Veridia: This new artist may have appeared on one of my former playlists, but this awesome band reminds me of BarlowGirl meets Flyleaf, and is rising on the Christian music charts. Check out this song about God’s amazing love.
10. “Fireblazin” by Capital Kings: This is seriously my favorite song on Christian radio right now. Every time I hear it, I am so moved by the lyrics and by the passion of sharing the Gospel and Jesus with people! The cool thing is that this is a techno-pop dance type of song that definitely isn’t traditional or what you normally would think would be worshipful, but everything is created by God and for God, amen? This song is such a powerful one. “We’ve got a fire blazin’ in our hearts, no, we’re never gonna stop until the whole world knows who you are, who you are…you wreck us, you wreck us with your love and forever we are yours.” Let’s make this our anthem this year—right, PI Girls?
Happy New Year, PI Girls! What is YOUR favorite song on my January playlist? Comment below!
Contact me via social media @Christi Given and facebook.com/ChristiGiven.