Hello PI readers! Every month I share my FAVORITE songs with you in playlists. Some may be Christian/gospel and some may be secular, and all will be positive and inspiring! Since I am a singer and songwriter, this will be a great way to share the different styles and genres of music I listen to and learn from. Let’s get this playlist started!
1. “Forever” by Kari Jobe: With Easter coming soon, this is a wonderful song to prepare your heart regarding the resurrection of Jesus and the finished work on the cross. It’s so powerful and ushers the presence of the Holy Spirit powerfully to the listener. Jobe is a significant worshipper and leader in our day. This is my #1 favorite song right now…I adore this song! Usually these playlists are in no particular order, but in general for worship, I’ve been really soaking this song in my spirit. Please watch this video—it’s very touching. I pray this song blesses you. Let us prepare for Passover and the celebration of the fact that the Lord has risen! He is alive!!! Amen!
2. “God’s Not Dead” by Newsboys: Many of you have probably seen the film God’s Not Dead, which was released in theaters in March 2014. If so, you may have heard this song in the film. Newsboys is a top Christian band and a typically a household name for believers. If you don’t know them, check out this tune—you will be empowered in your faith and will be rockin’ out to this song! (“He is livin’ on the inside roaring like a lion!”) ROAR!
3. “I Am” by David Crowder Band: I recently heard this song on the radio and absolutely loved it! I like the strong chorus, and Crowder’s voice is so powerful and unique. I think you’ll like this song, PI Girls. It’s nice to have the Crowder Band back making music! They have a new album coming out on May 27, 2014; go to crowdermusic.com for their tour dates and more.
4. “Broken Hallelujah” by The Afters: I loved the single “Light Up the Sky” by The Afters, which is one of their most popular songs. You’ve probably heard it or have seen the music video for it. If you’re unaware of this band, make sure to check them out and watch the video for that song here.
5. “Help” by Erica Campbell featuring Lecrae: As you may know, Erica Campbell of the gospel duo Mary Mary decided to do a solo project and release some of her own music. Her album, Help, debuted on March 25, 2014. Here is one of her new songs, called “Help,” with none other than my favorite hip-hop artist, LECRAE! The song is very gospel-meets-R&B, so for all of you who are used to very upbeat Lecrae songs, this is a slower tune. This is more of a prayer in the form of a song, with a genuine cry for God’s presence and assistance in our lives. Can I get an “Amen?!”
6. “Bottle It Up” by Sara Bareilles: As many of you know, I’m a Sara Bareilles fan and love the new “Brave” single that’s out on the radio. Did you know she has been an artist for quite some time? She hit mainstream in 2007 with “Love Song”—in fact, this single was released in 2009. Bareilles made my playlist in the beginning of 2014 with “Brave,” but I also love “Bottle It Up,” even though it’s one of her first popular songs. I only learned of her about a year and half ago and I love her musical style! I definitely feel like my musical style is somewhat similar to hers as well. Bareilles isn’t a Christian gospel singer, but she has positive music and I adore her voice! What about you?
7. “Fiery Love” by Samuel Lane: This new artist is awesome and has a Christian “Kings of Leon” vibe to his sound. His voice is so different, captivating and passionate. Listen to this song, “Fiery Love,” from his acoustic EP called The Fire. I’m currently playing it in my car. I really hope you enjoy Lane’s music—he is super talented and a strong Christian. Visit his website, samuellane.com. Also, if you’re interested, check out his music on Noise Trade for a free download of his music right here. Check out my playlist to watch Lane perform this song live from the Vineyard Records YouTube channel. May God bless you as you listen to this awesome worship song.
8. “Charlie Boy” by The Lumineers: I love this folk acoustic band from Denver, The Lumineers. Their music is so much fun and has such a storytelling aspect to it like many singer-songwriter bands do. The duo Wesley Schultz (lead singer, guitar) and Jeremiah Fraites (percussion, drums) are very musically talented and use a variety of strings in their music. You must know the top song “Ho Hey” that was featured on the show Nashville as well as the CW’s Hart of Dixie.
9. “With Everything” by Hillsong United (Remix Project): Not only is this song an epic remix worship song that happens to be one of my favorite songs ever by Hillsong, but the entire White Album (Remix Project) is pretty legit. Anyone who is a techno-pop fan and a Christian will fall in love with this CD! Whether you’re a believer or not, you’ll like the beats on the album and the cool sounds the producers mixed in to the top Hillsong tracks. I really hope this song blesses you like it does for me! God is so good! I’m seeing more and more well-produced Christian music on the market, which is really inspiring!
10. “Beautiful” by Mali Music: The same artist who collaborated with Lecrae on “Tell the World” is now climbing the charts for Billboard’s top gospel songs. Check out the official Billboard chart for Hot Gospel Songs here. The songs are ranked by radio and weekly popularity.
Listen to my playlist here:
PI Girls, what is YOUR favorite song off my playlist? Happy Spring, and remember this season and that Jesus is the reason we celebrate these wonderful holidays. Let us not forget our vision and purpose to love others through the Lord. Love you, PI Girls! Comment below!
Missed last month’s playlist? Click here to listen.