Christi’s Playlist: My Top 10 Favorite Songs of February 2014!
Written by Christi Given | February 18, 2014
Hello PI readers! Every month I share my FAVORITE songs with you in playlists. Some may be Christian/gospel and some may be secular, and all will be positive and inspiring! Since I am a singer and songwriter, this will be a great way to share the different styles and genres of music I listen to and learn from. Let’s get this playlist started!
1. “You Are I Am” by MercyMe: This popular worship band is best known for the single “I Can Only Imagine,” which is about heaven and meeting the Lord. The band is very well known in many churches and around the world for its powerful worship music that ushers you into the presence of God. MercyMe has a sound of reverence that causes it to stand out from other bands and artists. Check out its latest song that I absolutely adore, “You Are I Am,” which almost makes me cry every time I hear it. I encourage you to sit down with an open heart when listening to these lyrics…they will rock your world.
2. “Counting Stars” by OneRepublic: Last month, I had OneRepublic on my favorites list…because they are one of my favorite bands. Ryan Tedder has an awesome voice and the band has very powerful, thought-provoking songs. What about you? Do you like OneRepublic? What’s your favorite song the group has released?
3. “Write your story” by Francesca Battistelli: Battistelli is a great Christian pop vocalist who is known for her song “Free to Be Me,” which reached the top of the charts. Listen here if you have not heard it yet! “Write Your Story” is currently on the top of the Billboard charts in the Christian/Gospel music genre.
4. “Love Alone Is Worth the Fight” by Switchfoot: This band is one of my all-time favorite rock-alternative bands. Not only has Switchfoot influenced the Christian music market, but also has widely influenced secular radio. “Dare You to Move,” “Meant to Live,” “We Are One Tonight” and many other singles have influenced me…it’s safe to say they are my top picks on my iPod. Listen to “Dare You to Move,” which was on the A Walk to Remember film soundtrack. Any fans of that movie here? I sure was!
5. “Gold” by Britt Nicole: Many of you know Britt Nicole and are familiar with her music. You can definitely find her on Christian radio, and she has been nominated for the Dove Awards (by the Gospel Music Association) and even recently for a Grammy. Her influence in the Christian music industry is very significant and her leadership is very positive and uplifting as she shines for Jesus. Check out her new album,“Gold,” and her first album, “The Lost Get Found,” which is one of my ALL-time favorites!
6. “If I Die Tonight” by Lecrae Featuring Novel: Grammy award winner Lecrae has shaken the music industry with his impactful and upfront lyrics. I admire Lecrae’s boldness in his faith, and have so since day one. He is “unashamed” about his faith (in fact, his recent tour was called “The Unashamed Tour.” Also, his music entourage and team is called the 116 Clique, which represents the scripture in Romans 1:16). The song on my playlist this month is called, “If I Die Tonight,” and it represents the confidence of the believer who is not scared of death, because we have an eternal perspective.
7. “Christ Is Enough” by Hillsong Live: There are so many Hillsong albums that have powerful, anointed songs. “Glorious Ruins” is one of the newest albums by Hillsong Church. The song I am sharing from the album is a precious song about Christ being our reward and our treasure. It is about our great love and deep devotion to Jesus. Sometimes in life things fail us, but God never will…hence, Christ is enough for us, amen PI Girls?? This song has beautiful lyrics, I encourage you to look them up when you can!
8. “Hold On” by Colbie Caillat: Caillat is a secular singer who has an amazing voice and is a good, positive role model. You may know her songs “Bubbly,” “Brighter Than the Sun,” “I Never Told You” and more. Listen to her latest release in my playlist below! It is a fun and heartfelt song that kind of reminds me of Leona Lewis and Francesca Battestelli. What do you think?
9. “This Is Amazing Grace” by Phil Wickham: Wickham is one of my favorite artists and worship leaders of today. His voice has so much emotion and sounds so revering when he sings about the Lord. Wickham began his music career by leading worship in his local church. Wickham is a California native and is a humble man of God. I encourage you to support his music; you will be blown away by the power in the worship songs. This new song is on the top of the Billboard charts right now and is called “This Is Amazing Grace.”
10. “Where I Find You” by Kari Jobe: Jobe is one of the most influential female worship leaders of our day. She has influenced a generation with “Revelation Song,” a popular worship song also covered by Phillips, Craig and Dean. Many churches have sung this song all over the world and have been touched by the powerful lyrics. Another recent single from her album “Where I Find You” is called, “We Are,” which is about shining our light in a dark world. Jobe has an awesome passion for the Lord and for worship. Check out her website for more about her music and ministry.
Listen to the playlist here!
Missed January’s playlist? View it here.
What is your favorite song on the list? Comment below, PI readers!