Hello PI readers! Starting this month, I’m going to be sharing my FAVORITE songs with you in monthly playlists. Some may be Christian/gospel and some may be secular, and all will be positive and inspiring! Since I am a singer and songwriter, this will be a great way to share the different styles and genres of music I listen to and learn from. Let’s get this playlist started!
1. “Back To Life” Hillsong Young & Free: I love the Australian church Hillsong and their different worship teams and bands. The latest band they started is called Young & Free (Y&F). The first song on my playlist comes from their debut album, We Are Young & Free.
2. “Ready or Not” Britt Nicole (ft. Lecrae): If you get to know me, you will soon find out that I am a HUGE Lecrae fan and supporter. Also, I admire my fellow sister in Christ Britt Nicole! She is such a light for Jesus and is so talented!
3. “Feel Again” by OneRepublic: I love OneRepublic lead singer Ryan Tedder’s voice. The band’s sound is really unique and upbeat, and “Feel Again” is from the album NATIVE. I love the arrangements of their songs, and typically their songs are pretty positive or tell an interesting story. The lyrics are very deep and I find they are very poetic and filled with many similes and verbal play on words.
4. “Beautiful Day” by Jamie Grace: If you have been a PI girl for a while, you will know that I do a weekly music cover of the latest song on the charts that I want to share with the PI community. See my cover of “Hold Me” here!
5. “Brave” by Sara Bareilles: Bareilles has been around for several years, but I recently heard about her through her song “I Choose You” (which I also love!) from the album The Blessed Unrest. Her music isn’t gospel but it definitely is positive and upbeat and I love that! Bareilles is a very talented musician and someone you should totally listen to and check out!
6. “Co-Sign Part 2” by Lecrae (Produced by 808xElite and Street Symphony): This track comes from hip-hop artist Lecrae from his mixtape Church Clothes Vol 2. The lyrics in this song are super powerful, for example: “I don’t rep gospel, I live that…” Lecrae has made waves among the hip-hop industry speaking truth and rapping positive lyrics. Don’t miss his critically-acclaimed album, Gravity, which he won his first Grammy for.
7. “Turn Up Your Light” by V-Rose and KJ-52: Many of you may have seen V-Rose on JCTV (now known as JUCE TV!). V-Rose also made an appearance on Project Inspired’s Live Chat, and her friend and fellow artist FLAME also popped in to say hi to the PI community. Watch the V-Rose chat in the archives here!
8. “Over You” by Miranda Lambert: Even though Miranda’s album has been out for a while now, I recently heard “Over You,” which is written about the brother of Labert’s husband, Blake Shelton. The song is very deep, sentimental and emotional. “Over You,” shares the story of love, loss and also remembering sweet memories with Shelton’s brother, who died in an accident. Be prepared: it’s a tear-jerker. Also, I did a cover of this song on my own YouTube channel, which you can watch here.
9. “Gone, Gone, Gone” by Phillip Phillips: Former American Idol (season 12) Phillip Phillips is quite impressive when you hear his music and his story. I really enjoy the sounds of his music,even though I did not follow the season of AI that he was on. Phillips has a positive, encouraging and genuine message in his music. The lyrics in this particular song are really moving and endearing to me personally, while still capturing an upbeat sound. The radio chart-topping song has brought Phillips a long way.
10. “Overcomer” by Mandisa: I can’t get enough of this song! It includes several victorious testimonies within the storyline of Mandisa’s music video. We may have to battle certain circumstances in the boxing ring of life, but God can help us to be “overcomers” in the end. Mandisa has overcome a lot in her life and she has become a witness of this within her friends’ lives as well. I also did a cover of this song, which you can watch here!
Listen to the playlist here!
PI girls, feel free to comment on which is your favorite song out of my playlist and why!
[Image Credit: www.forgivenphotography.com]