Music & Culture
Christi’s Playlist: My Top 10 Favorite Songs of June 2014!
Written by Christi Given | June 27, 2014
Hello PI readers! Every month I share my favorite songs with you in playlists. Some may be Christian/gospel and some may be secular, and all will be positive and inspiring! Since I am a singer and songwriter, this is a great way to share the different styles and genres of music I listen to and learn from. Let’s get this playlist started!
1. “Let the Heavens Open” (Live) by Kari Jobe. Jobe’s new album, Majestic, is amazingly powerful. I am loving not only the song “Forever,” but also this new single, which ushers in the presence of God. This song is so touching I can listen to it over and over again. Jobe is an anointed worshipper and singer—she is such an inspiration to me as a singer and worship leader as well. Enjoy the video.
2. “All of Me” by John Legend. Although this isn’t a Christian song, we single ladies can sing it to the Lord (except for the part where it says imperfections…God is perfect in all His ways), or if you do have a loved one, it is such a romantic song and is beautifully arranged. Legend is one of those stellar artists who is set to leave a legacy behind him for such powerful songs. I love this version featuring violinist Lindsey Stirling.
3. “A Sky Full of Stars” by Coldplay. I don’t have to introduce Coldplay, as many of you are probably aware of their new album and new single on the radio. This new song is so good I had to share it! Although it doesn’t have a gospel message, it is a nice mix of pop/rock with a little bit of techno, cool to jam to or to dance to. Check it out!
4. “Christ Be All Around Me” by Leeland ft. All Sons and Daughters. Leeland is one of my favorite worship bands. They are so on point in their lyrics aligning with the Word of God, and placing truth in their music. I love their uplifting worship and sounds. They have powerful melodies, harmonies and sweet songs that stick with you. I love how this band partnered with All Sons and Daughters, another favorite of mine. If you like Gungor, then definitely check out the band All Sons and Daughters. Close your eyes in worship or enjoy watching the video for this new song from their new EP.
5. “Two Black Cadillacs” by Carrie Underwood. Underwood is one of those secular artists who I think is a standout and who is a light in the entertainment industry. She has a great voice and is bold in her faith.
6. “Gimme” by Derek Minor. This song is about greed and the temptations of this world. Minor is on the same label and comes from the same family of artists as KB, Lecrae, Tedashii, Trip Lee and more. Check out his video about the pull of the tide of the culture. Let’s be guarded and not fooled by the media or peer pressure, amen?
7. “He Knows My Name” by Francesca Battistelli. Francesca is a popular Christian artist known for her top Christian songs on the radio and on the music charts like “Beautiful Beautiful,” “Lead Me to the Cross,” “Free to Be Me” and more! Listen to her new worship pop song from her new album, If We’re Honest.
8. “Power Trip” by Lecrae ft. Derek Minor, Sho Baraka & Andy Mineo. This song is so…guess what?…POWER-ful! Speaking of power, these Reach Records artists tell the listener who is boss and who is in control. The lyrics explain how power corrupts and that God is ultimately the one in control. Look up the lyrics here. Here’s a sample of the lyrics…I LOVE them!
The truth is I was made like the mob
Geppetto put me together; my strings lead to God
Pride come befo’ the fall, I seen it in the script
So if you see me fallin’, prolly a power trip.
8. “In Awe of You” by Jesus Culture ft. Kim Walker-Smith. This song is about standing before the presence of God and just being in awe of the Lord. No matter what happens in life, it will pass away, but God and His eternal Word never pass away. We have hope in our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ because He died for us so we may live! Hallelujah! How blessed we are to know God’s never-ending LOVE! Ask the Lord to come in your heart and the Holy Spirit will guide you. We love you here at PI! Praying for you all!
9. “Every Bit of Lovely” by Jamie Grace. This is a pop upbeat song about self value and worth. The song is about creation and how we are beautifully made (Psalm 139). Click here to listen to Jamie Grace’s new album called Ready to Fly. Enjoy listening to her positive and uplifting lyrics.
10. “Dear No One” by Tori Kelly. Tori Kelly has auditioned for American Idol and has been popular on YouTube. She is a rising artist who is very talented not only vocally, but also as a musician. Tori Kelly plays guitar and pens her own songs. Check out her single “Dear No One” and other songs from her EP.
Listen to the playlist here:
What is your favorite song this month? Comment below! I love you, PI Girls!