Music & Culture
Christi’s Playlist: My Top 10 Favorite Songs of March 2014!
Written by Christi Given | March 18, 2014
Hello PI readers! Every month I share my FAVORITE songs with you in playlists. Some may be Christian/gospel and some may be secular, and all will be positive and inspiring! Since I am a singer and songwriter, this will be a great way to share the different styles and genres of music I listen to and learn from. Let’s get this playlist started!
1. Phil Wickham, “Carry My Soul”: Wickham is a Southern California native who began his musical career as a worship leader at his local church. Wickham is well known for his powerful voice, amazing lyrics and unique sound. This song is special to me because I love the lyrics and appreciate the part where he says, “I will run, and I won’t quit, chasing Your heart, just like David did. And I’ll come running through the gates, looking to your face, oh I can hardly wait, until You carry my soul, carry my soul away…” Get Wickham’s album, “The Ascension,” on iTunes.
2. Natalie Grant, “In the End”: After the news of Grant exiting this year’s Grammy ceremonies due to some dark performances, I have learned more about her and her heart and passion for worship, and have gained much respect for her. Grant has a new album out, “Hurricane,” and the single I chose is super encouraging and very folk-pop acoustic. The song has a combination of strings, guitars and banjos that gives the song a more folk vibe, which I absolutely love.
3. Pharrell Williams, “Happy” (from Despicable Me 2): I love this upbeat, positive song that reminds me of a 1970s single. The song has a very old-fashioned and yet classic vibe to it. Pharrell is definitely an artist who is different and unique. I enjoy the song and its title…the lyric video is pretty cute, too!
4. Tenth Avenue North, “Losing”: I LOVE Tenth Avenue North! Mike Doheny, the lead singer, has an anointed and powerful voice. The band’s lyrics, passion, sound and depth is so touching and life-changing. You may know them from the singles “By Your Side,” “Love Is Here” and more. Check out this song, “Losing,” which talks about how sometimes we feel like when we do the right thing or wait on God, we FEEL like we’re losing, but in reality we’re not. It’s also about forgiveness, grace and compassion. The song is written almost like a prayer and is about God’s love and how we should operate in love and in Jesus’ freedom through the cross.
5. Hillsong Young & Free, “Back to Life”: I love this new Hillsong Youth band, Young and Free. As many of you know, the Hillsong Church from Australia has made a global impact on the world with worship leaders such as Darlene Zschech penning “Shout to the Lord” and other famous worship songs. Hillsong has made an impact with their bands Hillsong United, Hillsong Live and now this new band, Y&F. This song is so encouraging and uplifting, talking about God’s unending love and how He won’t let go of us. It is a proclamation of our commitment to Jesus and to follow God with all of our hearts. I love the lyrics, “In the night, through the struggle, through the trial, You have made my burden light…You have brought me back to life, again!” Hallelujah!
6. Carrie Underwood, “Blown Away”: I love Carrie Underwood’s powerful voice and her sound! I have been a country fan since I was little girl. As soon as Underwood made her mark on American Idol, I knew she had the triple-threat package. The coolest thing about her is that she is unashamed of her faith and is not afraid to talk about Jesus. Underwood’s latest album was released in 2012, but she is still touring and doing music. This song isn’t new, but I added it to my playlist because it is so fun to sing and I love the video!
7. Lecrae, “My Whole Life Changed” (Produced by ThaInnaCircle & Street Symphony): This song comes from one of my favorite faith-based hip-hop artists, Lecrae. If you have been on PI for a while, you know that I LOVE how Lecrae does not back down when it comes to his faith and the gospel of Jesus Christ. This single comes from his latest mixtape, “Church Clothes the Mixtape Vol. 2” Don’t miss out on his bold, award-winning lyrics. Lecrae is a Grammy winner and has impacted culture is a positive, transforming way. Make sure you go to www.reachrecords.com to find out when he will be live and check out the other artists on their label.
I love these lyrics from “My Whole Life Changed”:
“Imma talk about Christ
Imma talk about life
Cuz’ I want to
Change my life I ain’t lost my sight
I been on the same things since ’02, And that’s real talk”
8. Casting Crowns, “Thrive”: This is a new single from the band’s sixth and latest album, released with the book, Thrive. The song is about staying planted in the Word of God and staying well nourished like a tree. We are called to THRIVE in life, to flourish like a tree and to have an abundant life. (“That person is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither–whatever they do prospers. –Psalm 1:3 )
9. Jamie Grace, “Do Life Big”: Grace’s new album, “Ready to Fly,” was released January of this year and is already reaching the top of the music charts. She is super awesome and has not only a great voice, but also is very talented and plays the guitar, despite challenges she has faced in life with Tourette’s Syndrome. The song I chose to feature is “Do Life Big,” because it is fun, reminds us as believers in Christ to remember to sit with God and to listen to the still, small voice. It also has a message to do life BIG and to trust God! It reminds me of Ephesians 3:20 and John 10:10 in the Bible. (“Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.” –Ephesians 3:20-21)
10. Group 1 Crew (Feat. Chris August), “He Said”: For all of you who are new to PI, I have the honor of working with a Christian music channel, JUCE TV (formerly known as JCTV). It is awesome because not only does it promote positive music, but also the message of the gospel and hope of Jesus! This band, Group 1 Crew, is on JUCE TV a lot, as is singer-songwriter Chris August. I had the privilege of meeting August after a David Crowder Band concert a couple of years ago, and I can personally say he is super humble and nice! Check out the collaboration of these dynamic musicians!
Listen to the playlist below!
PI readers and listeners, what is your favorite song on my playlist and why? 🙂 I would love to hear from you! Comment below!
Missed last month’s playlist? Click here to listen!