Hello PI readers! Every month I share my FAVORITE songs with you in playlists. Some may be Christian/gospel and some may be secular, and all will be positive and inspiring! Since I am a singer and songwriter, this will be a great way to share the different styles and genres of music I listen to and learn from. Let’s get this playlist started!
This month’s playlist is a mixture of Christian hip-hop, pop, worship and country (listed in no particular order). Hope you like the variety of artists from 1 Girl Nation to Lecrae.
Check out my playlist and let’s jam!
1. “One Drop” by Plumb. Plumb’s new song “One Drop” has been very popular on the Christian music scene, and “Need You Now” reached #2 on the Billboard charts, which was Plumb’s top ranking. The new album, Need You Now, is climbing the Billboard music charts. I like “One Drop” because it’s positive and upbeat. The song is about changing the world, trying our best in life—even if it’s just one drop. It’s also about how we are all better together. Amen?! Girls, remember YOU matter, and loving people DOES make a difference. Let’s try and change our world and have a positive influence on others! Go to plumbmusic.net for more Plumb music and news.
2. “I’m Turnt” by Lecrae. As many of you know, I am a Lecrae supporter and love his passion and zeal for Jesus. He doesn’t back down in his lyrics or his faith, and he shines a light in the hip-hop world. Lecrae is a Grammy-winning artist and has reached thousands with the Gospel of the Bible through the power of music. If you don’t know him yet, get with it and check him out! 😉 He is AWE-some. So talented, humble and a family man. Check out reachrecords.com for more about his music and other talented hip-hop artists that are similar to him. “I’m Turnt” is about being in the world, but not of it. Basically, Lecrae is saying that people probably think he’s partaking in the acts of the world, but he isn’t because he is living for Christ. Pretty cool. Listen to the lyrics carefully to get the full message.
3. “One Night Town” by Ingrid Michaelson feat. Mat Kearney. Many of you might be familiar with Mat Kearney, who sings “Closer to Love,” which was one of my favorite songs. It was not only considered Christian music, but was also played on secular radio. Ingrid Michaelson, a mainstream artist, has made her way into the music industry with some of her pop contemporary songs such as “Breakable,” from her album Girls & Boys. This particular song appears on her most recent album release, Lights Out. Together, Michaelson and Kearney are not only unique, but a cool musical collaboration. Hope you like this fun, upbeat song.
4. “The Only Name (Yours Will Be)” by Big Daddy Weave. This worship band plays powerful music that combines a country feel with a Phillips, Craig & Dean vibe and a little of Matthew West or Casting Crowns. Big Daddy Weave tends to be on Christian/Gospel radio and expresses their love of the Lord through music and praise/worship. You may have heard their songs “What Life Would Be Like” and “Redeemed.” This song has a beautiful message of truth and the lyrics are so touching. I pray it will lift you up spiritually and will encourage you to set time aside for the Lord in prayer and in the Word of God.
5. “Do Life Big” by Jamie Grace. I love this new pop Christian song by one of Project Inspired’s favorite artists, none other than Grace Unplugged actress Jamie Grace. She not only is influencing the world with her music, but also made her mark on the big screen. Check her out in the film with my cousin AJ Michalka, starring Chris Tomlin and James Denton. Here is a cool lyric video with inspiring words to encourage us to serve, give, lay down our lives and ultimately…do life big…for God! Isn’t this a fun dance type of song? Pssst…here’s a little insider’s note: You may see this in a Project Inspired Christi’s Covers video soon!
6. “Man of Sorrows” by Hillsong. This spirit-filled worship song by the band from the Hillsong church in Australia carries a message of the cross. Many of you know how much I connect with and admire this band from the Land Down Under! Check out the beautiful lyrics about the old rugged cross…they’re quite lovely. I hope you really hear the words…and let it sink into your soul HOW MUCH GOD LOVES YOU. Hallelujah!
7. “Pioneer” by Beckah Shae. This is a song Shae is releasing from her new music project. Make sure to keep up with her on her social networking sites as she has a lot of new music coming your way. Shae has not only impacted my life in my relationship with the Lord, as she speaks life in her music, but she is also a sister in Christ and is doing what I aspire to do. I love the boldness in her music and love her Beckah Shae’s Way Pop Medleys on YouTube. She is one of the reasons I started doing the faith versions of my Christi’s Covers—I was impacted by the covers she did of top secular artists like Lady Gaga and Rihanna in which she changed the lyrics to have a godly, Christ-centered message! Check them out right here if you haven’t yet!
8. “We Believe” by Newsboys. This is a new release from the Christian rock band Newsboys. You might have seen the film God’s Not Dead, in which the Newsboys made a cameo appearance as well as performed their top song, “God’s Not Dead.” Check out that music video—it’s so moving and motivating to help people share that God is alive and loves people! I hope you enjoy this new single. It’s rising on the charts in Christian music and is in association with Billy Graham’s ministry, My Hope with Billy Graham. I love how the lyrics say that we believe in the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit…wow, what a courageous message to declare in their song! They are truly unashamed of the Gospel and the Bible. So rad!
9. “Vertical” by 1 Girl Nation. 1 Girl Nation is on the rise in the Christian music industry. Recently, while in Nashville, I had the privilege of interviewing two of the five members in the group, Kaylee and Carmen. Check out the PI Girl Talk articles because I will have their interview posted soon! Listen to this great poppin’ song, “Vertical,” and to the message in the song. PI Girls, are you a 1 Girl Nation fan?
10. “The Heart of Dixie” by Danielle Bradbery. Bradbery is a new secular singer who has made her way from TV’s The Voice to country radio. Check out her new single, “The Heart of Dixie,” and let me know what you think of her as a singer and new country artist. She is like a Hayden Panettiere-meets-Taylor Swift, don’t you think? We need good, positive musical role models and she seems to be one of the next influencers in the industry, so I thought I’d share this with you girls! Any country fans out there?
Listen to the playlist here!
PI Girls, let me know your favorite song and/or artist you enjoyed seeing and hearing on my playlist this month! Comment below!