Back to School
College Beat: Christi’s 10 Favorite Fall Fashion Trends
Written by Christi Given | September 7, 2014
PI Girls, here are my personal favorite fall trends and cute back-to-school looks! Of course, there are many new trends, but these are on my top 10 list.
1. Floral kimonos: I love these blouse-like cover-ups called kimonos. They are so easy to wear over a solid-color top with black pants or jeans. Add a cute necklace and you’re good to go!
(Where to get this: Target/Forever 21/CharlotteRusse)
2. Oversized hats: Many of you have probably seen the hipster hat look, which is all over Instagram and fashion blogs. The bowler hat is making a statement this season and is definitely in the romantic/grunge category of fashion. Hats have become more of a popular trend recently, so go find your favorite style. It adds the perfect touch to your outfit!
(Where to get this: BCBG, bcbg.com)
3. High-top bun: Need a new hairdo? A high-top ballerina bun or messy bun is totally in style and is quick and easy. No stressing about straightening your hair or taking the extra time to heat up a curling iron or flat iron. I love the scrunchy ponytail holders that help you create that perfect bun.
(Image: Elizabeth Olsen, harpersbazaar.com)
(Where to get this: CVS Pharmacy)
4. Fun sweaters and blouses: There are so many patterns and different designs when it comes to sweaters and you definitely will see these more and more this fall. There are also large worn sweaters that will be in this fall/winter. The ’90s grunge and floral looks are in, so keep your eyes peeled. I’m more of a floral girl than a streetwear type of girl—what about you?
(Where to get this: jcluforever.com)
5. Leather: I’m so thankful the leather trend is still going on because I LOVE LOVE LOVE LEATHER! I love pants, jackets and even some details on some shirts that accent leather. This is popular in the music world, so I definitely feel I can pull off the “leather” look, but I know it’s not for everyone. You are going to start to see longer, knee-length leather skirts coming into style with cute, fashionable tees. Do you like leather? Would you wear it?
6. Kitchy prints: This new term “kitchy prints” is in fashion this season—basically it means unique, repetitious patterns on either blouses or pants for a funky, trendy look. Plaid, florals and repeated graphics are in this season. Printed pattered snapbacks are in if you like hats. (ModCloth.com/Asos.com/Forever 21)
(Image: Seventeen.com/Where to get this: Modcloth.com)
7. Long pleated skirts: I love long, flowy skirts—this season, accordion pleated skirts are the new thing. There are circle skirts that are hip with the creased look on the vertical, and wild patterns are in too. You will see plaid skirts and pants coming into fashion this season, so be prepared to wear and see lots of it! Also, the shiny look is in style (although, to be honest, I’m not a huge fan of the shiny material or shoes…JMO…but it may look cute on you; just my choice in fashion). Pastel colors will fit nicely with the longer flowy skirts.
8. Pastel colors: I LOVE pastels and soft, romantic colors. My hair and skin tone look good with peachy, light pink colors, so this is a good fit for me and my style. I love the romantic look, with pearls, lots of girly jewelry, rings, layers, leggings and more. Pastels match with almost everything, so this will be a good look this season. You can wear pastels with dark or light colors, but since it’s fall, it might be good to offset the lighter pale colors with the dark—and even jeans work too. Items you can wear in pastel colors: skirts, blouses, cropped jackets and statement earrings. These are going to be BIG this fall.
9. Western look: I love my blue jeans and boots—I definitely could be a Southern girl fashion-wise, because my day-in, day-out preference of clothing is some skinny blue jeans with black or brown booties. Embroidered tops and dresses are going to be the hot purchase. Cowgirl boots are super cute and will definitely be hot with fringe jackets or cute tan bags. Fringe and suede are trendy this season, so pull out your turquoise, tan and jean looks.
(Where to get this: Nordstrom)
10. Silver jewelry: Gold was the “hot” thing, which it still is and probably always will be, but now, silver is your BFF. So pull out the silver jewelry, especially the big statement earrings, bib necklaces and more. Remember, “Silver and gold, silver and gold, make new friends but keep the old, one is silver and the other gold.”
(Image: Seventeen.com/Where to get this: Forever 21)
What is YOUR favorite look, accessory or trend? Comment below!