Back to School
College Beat: How to Juggle School, Work, Your Faith and Relationships
Written by Christi Given | April 5, 2017
College is that time in your life when there is so much happening in your schedule and many times you can feel overwhelmed. It’s important to find God in the secret place where you can be restored and refreshed (Psalm 91). God wants us to draw from His strength through His presence so we can balance life and do relationships well.
We must seek God’s Kingdom first in all things, and the Bible says that everything will be added after we do that. Next, we must be organized in school and work. It’s important to be faithful in being on time and knowing when to work or play. Rest is also key in a healthy life so we don’t burn the candle at both ends. The art of saying “no” is healthy regarding self-control to accomplish your responsibilities and assignments.
Make sure to keep your word in life, to show up and be present. In addition, pray to the Lord and see how you can honor Him in every situation. We are all living witnesses wherever we go, whether at school or work, so make sure to stand for your faith even when you don’t think someone is watching. God sees our hearts and knows our thoughts, and we want to succeed not only in school and in life, but also in our faith, amen?
10 Tips on How to Balance Life, Work, Faith and Relationships
1. Seek God First: Matthew 6:33 tells us the priorities of life are that if God is number one in our day, then everything naturally follows. This doesn’t mean perfection, but it means peace and order.
2. Be Faithful: If you are faithful with the small things in life, it leads to more opportunities and success.
3. Balance Work and Play: Have fun, yet be a hard worker, too!
4. Know When to Rest: Taking a Sabbath is not only key, but is also critical to your health and being the best you can be. God created us to have one day of rest, so we should honor this. In addition, the Sabbath or rest day is a time when we can be alone with God and truly hear His voice away from distractions, which is important for direction in life.
5. Maintain Relationships: Don’t ignore your friends and family to get straight A’s and don’t neglect your homework for friendships. Balance is key.
6. Be on Time: Aim to be early so that you are truly on time. This helps especially with succeeding in college.
7. Learn the Art of Saying “No”: There’s a quote that says “You can do anything, but you cannot do everything.” I love this because it’s true. Sometimes your yes means saying no to something else, so use discernment (Galatians 5:22-23).
8. Plan Ahead: Make sure to stay organized so that you can be diligent in finishing your work and to keep up with your schedule (James 5:12).
9. Keep Your Word: If you commit to something, you should keep your word because that is your bond and your integrity. People take notice if you constantly cancel or flake, that is not Christ-like and shows a lack of character. Let your yes be “yes” and your no be “no” (Matthew 5:37).
10. Honor God: In your decision making and personal choices in life, honor the Lord. You may not think that people take notice, but they do, and more importantly, God takes notice. Make sure to pray when you need the Lord’s help. Amen!
PI Girls, do you have any other advice for those in college who need help juggling their workload and relationships? Comment below!