Back to School
College Beat: How to Keep Your Balance in Life
Written by Christi Given | October 19, 2014
“How do you maintain balance in life when it seems to be so busy?”
A PI Girl recently asked this question. From juggling homework to hanging out with friends, going to church, reading your Bible, praying, calling your parents, staying organized and doing laundry, how can you keep up? And how can we learn to rest, enjoy and take life one day at a time?
One piece of advice is to put God first, at the top of your list. Of course, family and school are so important, as well as your friends, but the Bible says when we seek God FIRST in all things, everything will fall into its proper place. That is so awesome!
Easier said than done, though, amen? It is easy to say, “I will put God first, and seek Him before anything,” but then the first thing we do when we wake up is open emails or Instagram. We are all guilty of this, of course, because no one is perfect. We need to remember that God gives us grace and He knows our heart. Honestly, when I start prioritizing my day, and I look at my schedule and put the Lord as number one, it is so amazing because everything does really work out, and better than I imagined. (Ephesians 3:20)
Do not be over-righteous, neither be overwise—why destroy yourself? (Ecclesiastes 7:16)
So, to answer your question, the best way to maintain balance is to work hard, pray hard and enjoy life. We all need this balance in our lives and we all need godly wisdom. Even the Bible discusses avoiding extremes and maintaining a healthy, godly lifestyle. The Lord doesn’t want you to be overworked or overburdened. In fact, Jesus even said, “Don’t worry…” many times in the Bible (Matthew 6:25-34). This isn’t a suggestion; the Lord commands us and tells us to have faith. Let us pray for wisdom, faith, balance, structure and also humility to seek Jesus first and God’s Kingdom, amen?
Whoever can be trusted with very little can also be trusted with much, and whoever is dishonest with very little will also be dishonest with much. (Luke 16:10)
Tips on Staying Balanced in Life
- Pray; seek God FIRST: Matthew 6:33 says when we do this, God will provide for ALL of our needs!
- Read your Bible: This is so important and key in obtaining wisdom for our lives. How can we have clear vision if we don’t read God’s roadmap to see? God says His Word is a lamp unto our feet and a LIGHT unto our paths. When we read the Good Book, we will know where to go, amen? We also will be reminded of keeping in step with the Spirit and being balanced.
- Prioritize and be organized: We need to stay on top of our daily duties and responsibilities. We need to be good at RESPONDING to our RESPONS-ibilities. I don’t know about you, but I see the word “response” in responsibility, amen? If we are faithful with little things, then God can entrust us with more. That is also a scripture to remember (Luke 16:10).
- Let us work unto the Lord and also enjoy life: The Bible says in Colossians 3:23-24, “And whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not to men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward of the inheritance; for you serve the Lord Christ.”
- Don’t worry; give your life to Jesus: In Luke 12:22, it says, “Then Jesus said to his disciples: ‘Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat; or about your body, what you will wear….’”
Ecclesiastes in the Bible also talks about wisdom, saying, “Young people, it’s wonderful to be young! Enjoy every minute of it. Do everything you want to do; take it all in. But remember that you must give an account to God for everything you do.” (Ecclesiastes 11:9)
PI Girls, what are some ways you put God first in your life and keep balance? I am praying for you! Jesus loves you!