Back to School
College Beat: How to Navigate What You Want to Do With Your Life
Written by Christi Given | November 11, 2016
College is a time of exploration, education and experience. We all have hopes, dreams and passions, but how do we know what the perfect plan for our life is? We know that life is not perfect, but we know God has good things in store for those who trust in Him (Jeremiah 29:11).
You will keep in perfect peace those whose minds are steadfast, because they trust in you. (Isaiah 26:3)
How do we know what path to take and what is really God’s will? First, we must look at a few different factors to determine our life’s mission and purpose. We must ask God to reveal His plan and mission to us as we trust Him. God may not reveal your entire life before your eyes, but you can trust He will order your footsteps and will walk with you in each season of life. Read Jeremiah 33:3 and also Ecclesiastes chapter 3 in the Bible.
Ask your family and friends what your strengths are. Go to a school counselor and ask for their advice and see where your grades are excelling. Find out through your youth pastor what your gifts are and you will soon find out what your ideal profession or career could be.
Some people don’t want to have a career and their dream is to be a traveling missionary, a mother or wife. Everyone has different callings, talents and gifts, and no one is better than the next. God designed you on purpose for His purpose, not for the world.
Once you know in your heart, mind and spirit what you want to do, set out to make a vision board. Cut out inspiring words from magazines or pick photos you can glue on a poster for your room or dorm that reflects your dreams and you can look at it for a reminder of your goals. God is so big, so if your dreams don’t challenge you, DREAM BIGGER! (Read Ephesians 3:20 to know what I mean.)
Finally, PI Girls, at the end of our lives we want Jesus to say to us, “Well done, good and faithful servant,” right? We want to honor our King with the gifts that He bestowed and entrusted to us. We all may have a little gift or many gifts, but we are all God’s children and are all precious to Him. What’s important is how we steward our gift and if we are responsible with what our Father gives us.
His master said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant. You have been faithful over a little; I will set you over much. Enter into the joy of your master. (Matthew 25:23)
Five Ways to Discover God’s Purpose for Your Life
1. Seek God for His will: God says when we seek Him and trust in Him, He will show us the ultimate right path (Proverbs 1).
2. Ask yourself what you love to do: When you are passionate about something, it doesn’t feel like work. Do what you love, and love what you do!
3. Find out your strengths and weaknesses: You don’t want to waste time doing something that you don’t like or are not good at. You want to flourish in your natural, God-given talents. Everyone is different and uniquely made for God’s glory and purpose, so don’t compare yourself.
4. Write down your vision: God’s Word says when we make our vision and plan clear, if aligns with God’s design for your life, it shall happen in the right time (Habakkuk 2).
5. Does your purpose glorify God?: God’s Word says He will bring to completion His good work He started in you (Philippians 1:6). Do you believe this?
PI Girls, God wants you to DREAM BIG! We serve a big God, so trust Him, step out, plan, ask and believe His purposes for you!