In college, many things can change in life, especially the location in which you live. It can be hard to be far from your original clique of high school friends and to make the adjustment, but there are ways to stay connected to those you love and care about—especially through technology. On the bright side of things, being far away just means you can make special trips to see your bestie or close circle for holidays, for spring break and Christmas/winter break, or even for birthdays if you are financially able.
Here are some ideas on how to stay close to your bestie while being at different schools.
1. Use FaceTime/Skype: This might be a given, especially in our culture, but seriously, we can schedule times now with those we love, kind of like The Jetsons cartoon show back in the day. Yes, the future has arrived. Get your Wi-Fi going and video chat with your best friend to see each other face-to-face for live talk! (Note: This is advice for college-age girls, so if you are under 18, you need permission from your parents or guardians to video chat with FaceTime and so forth.)
2. Be pen pals: Who doesn’t like a letter or card in the mail? Especially when you are far from home, it’s nice to receive mail and to know that you are being thought of, loved and missed. Write a nice letter or card to your bestie and maybe even include photos to remember some fun memories! This may seem outdated, but I love sending and receiving mail, and I even get PI letters from some of you girls, which I absolutely love and cherish!
3. Send a scrapbook via mail: Make a collage of photos or your favorite events/ memories together and surprise your best friend with a gift for a holiday, birthday or just because you want to surprise your BFF.
4. Visit your bestie or vice versa: Take a fun trip or vacation and see your BFF’s new neighborhood or campus! Share your college experiences, explore the town, meet new people and make new memories!
5. Talk on the phone, text weekly and never forget each other: Update each other with what’s going on in your worlds. Of course there will be busy times in life, but that’s no excuse not to communicate, even if it’s weekly via text, photo, email or on the telephone. Always stay connected somehow and make a date in the week to catch up. Keep your strong bond, and help each other when one needs it! Pray together and listen to one another’s struggles and/or exciting stories!
PI Girls, do you have any other ways to stay connected to a good friend who is far away in college or traveling out of your hometown? Comment below on how YOU stay connected or your creative ways to stay BFFL (Best Friends for Life)!