How to Deal With Mean People!
Written by Aysha Ives | May 23, 2011
Are people mean to you sometimes just because you’re different? Do they make fun of the way you wear your hair or your creative style of dress? Do they mock you for professing God in front of them? So what do you do when the people around you are being mean?
Check out these five tips for dealing with mean people:
- Recognize who you are in Christ. Knowing that you’re a child of God should give you some comfort! God’s children are “aliens and strangers in the world” (1 Peter 2:11) because “our citizenship is in heaven” (Philippians 3:20.) People won’t always understand your shining light, however God is always near those who love Him. Pray for strength when you’re dealing with mean people and ask the Holy Spirit to guide and direct your actions.
- Keep your composure. Mean people are always looking for a negative reaction. Unfortunately, they get a thrill out of it. However, if you remain calm and collected in the midst of the teasing, they’ll soon feel pretty silly and will eventually move on.
- Know when to seek help! YOU DON’T HAVE TO TOLERATE BEING BULLIED nor do you have to accept excessive teasing. Teenagers sometimes react to bullying by hurting themselves or hurting someone else, however it’s much better to seek help from an adult. This way, everyone remains safe and the teasing will be addressed.
- Continue to be kind to those who are mean to you. The Bible tells you to “love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you” (Matthew 5:44.) God will deal with their mean spirit in the most suitable way. He might even be using you as a role model for them. Wouldn’t it be awesome if your kindness is what ultimately helps them find Christ!
- Love yourself. It’s okay to be different because your differences are what make you unique. Differences set you apart from others and should be celebrated, not ridiculed! Don’t internalize the negativity of others. Remember,
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent!
~Eleanor RooseveltLoading ...