Beauty & Fashion
DIY: Make Your Own Natural Sunscreen!
Written by Project Inspired | July 31, 2014
If you’ve been hunting for the perfect sunscreen and unable to come up with anything you love, you should consider making your own! Making your own products is a great way to ensure you know exactly what’s going into them (and thus what’s going onto your body and being absorbed into your skin!). It’s not as hard as you’d think, and it can save you money in the long run and can be a great activity to do with friends and give as gifts.
- 1/2 cup almond or olive oil (can infuse with herbs first if desired)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (natural SPF 4)
- 1/4 cup beeswax
- 2 tablespoons zinc oxide (This is a non-nano version that won’t be absorbed into the skin. Be careful not to inhale the powder. This makes a natural SPF of 20+, or you can add more.)
- Optional: up to 1 teaspoon red raspberry seed oil
- Optional: up to 1 teaspoon carrot seed oil
- Optional: up to 1 teaspoon vitamin E oil
- Optional: 2 tablespoons shea butter (natural SPF 4-5)
- Optional: essential oils, vanilla extract or other natural extracts to suit your preference
- Combine all ingredients except zinc oxide in a pint-size or larger glass jar. You can use a mason jar or even reuse a glass jar from pickles, olives or other foods.
- Fill a medium saucepan with a couple of inches of water and place over medium heat.
- Put a lid on the jar loosely and place in the pan with the water.
- As the water heats, the ingredients in the jar will start to melt. Shake or stir occasionally to incorporate. When all ingredients are completely melted, add the zinc oxide, stir in well and pour into whatever jar or tin you will use for storage. Small mason jars (pint-size) are great for this. It will not pump well in a lotion pump!
- Stir a few times as it cools to make sure zinc oxide is incorporated.
- Use as you would regular sunscreen. Best if used within six months.
Source: Wellness Mama
Girls, have you ever made your own natural beauty products? What DIY recipe would you love to see next?