If anyone says, “I love God,” yet hates his brother, he is a liar. For anyone who does not love his brother, whom he has seen, cannot love God, whom he has not seen. And He has given us this command: Whoever loves God must also love his brother. (1 John 4:20-21)
God tells us throughout The Bible to love other people. In fact, 1 John 4:20-21 tells us that we can’t even love God if we don’t love other people! So here are ten ways that you can show love for other people TODAY and everyday!
- Compliment a stranger. Everyone loves compliments!
- Give someone a smile. Smiles are contagious!
- Send a handwritten letter or card to a loved one.
- Start a conversation with someone who looks a little ‘down in the dumps.’ It’s certain to brighten his/her mood.
- Call someone whom you haven’t spoken to in a while. I’m sure Grandma or a beloved auntie would love to hear from you!
- Give a gift…anonymously. What a selfless way to let someone know that s(he)’s loved and thought about.
- Volunteer to do something helpful for your mom or dad. They’ll be grateful for one less task or chore to do.
- Give the gift of time! Volunteer to sit with your elderly neighbor or to babysit for a single parent.
- Give someone a hug. Sometimes a hug is just what someone needs to feel better.
- Offer encouraging words to someone who’s discouraged. You never know when your words will help motivate a person to achieve what God has called them to do or be!
Love is action. Do something TODAY to show love toward another person. God will be pleased!
Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ (Matthew 22:37-39)