First Steps to Becoming a Christian
Written by T.M. Gaouette | March 3, 2015
Ladies, are you looking to become a Christian, but don’t know where to start? Becoming a Christian involves more than just accepting Jesus Christ into your life. That’s just the first step.
If you want to become a Christian, but don’t know how to go about it, here are five steps that will help get you on your way.
- Find a church. A church is your guidance in your faith, your life and your journey toward salvation. Jesus founded the one true church when He said, “And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the powers of death shall not prevail against it” (Matthew 16:18). Now it’s up to you to determine which church is that one true church. All denominations claim to be, so you have to do your research.
- Get baptized. Jesus was baptized. What other reason do you need? Once we are baptized, we become members of Christ. Some people who have fallen away from their faith or were never faithful at all may have already been baptized in a Christian church as a baby. Some denominations won’t baptize again, since scripture refers to “One Lord, one faith, one baptism.” In these cases, a declaration or confirmation is offered as a way of accepting Christ officially.
- Get involved and meet other Christians. Your church will offer opportunities to get involved in programs to strengthen your faith or help others. Youth group is also an opportunity to meet other Christians. When you get involved and meet other Christians, you have encouragement and support in your faith.
- Step out of the world. Of course you can’t completely step out of the world, but scripture calls us to live in the world without being worldly. So, in becoming a Christian, you will ultimately be giving up your worldly associations or influences. Trends and greed and popularity and other cultural or selfish endeavors must be set aside for a life according to God’s Word. This will likely be the hardest part of becoming a Christian.
- Begin your walk with Christ. Becoming a Christian is just the first step. Now it’s time to really build that relationship with Christ. It’s time to know, love and serve God. This is not something we learn in a few weeks or even years. This is often a lifelong lesson. As we encounter the trials and tribulations of our lives, we also learn how we deal with them now that we have called God into our lives.
Ladies, becoming a Christian is a life-changer. It’s not a matter of accepting Jesus into your heart and then going on with your business as usual. As Christians, we’ve accepted a way of life that is dedicated to Him. And this will not always be easy, especially if we’ve come to rely and depend on the things of the world to make us happy or feel fulfilled.
Ladies, have you just recently become a Christian? Share your story with us. We love to hear from you!
Contact me via social media for any questions, advice, prayer or just to say hello: