Five Tips to Help You Adjust to Your New School!
Written by Aysha Ives | November 29, 2011
Starting over in a brand new environment can be very difficult. Whether you’ve moved to a new town or you’re transitioning from middle school to high school, exploring unknown territory can be stressful. Here are a few tips that might make that transition just a little bit easier:
• Ask God for help. Remember, God won’t allow you to experience more than you’re able to bear. If you begin to feel overwhelmed by your situation, then it’s probably a good idea to take a moment to talk to God. It doesn’t matter where you are or what’s going on around you, God is always present. When things seem tough, take a breath and start to pray.
• Try new activities. There’s no better time to get involved in new activities than now. Consider what you’re good at and what you like to do. Then get yourself involved! This is a great way to meet new people and begin to feel a sense of belonging at your new school.
• Make new friends. Making new friends may seem like a difficult task, especially if you’re on the shy side. However, it can be done! A great way to meet new people is to be on the look-out for others who have similar interests to yours and then strike up a conversation. You could also decide to join organizations that appeal to you — this increases your chances of meeting other likeminded people.
• Maintain a positive outlook. It takes time to adjust to new settings, so try to maintain a positive outlook during the initial transition period. Keep in mind that the first couple of weeks are usually the hardest. Remind yourself that you’ll soon settle in and it’ll feel like you’ve been there forever.
• Seek adult guidance. If you just can’t seem to adjust to the new setting, then use the adults who are there to help you. Talk to a school counselor, your parents, pastor, Bible study teacher, or any other adult who you think can help.
I know that adjusting to a new school may be difficult, but believe me, it’ll get better. It takes time! Don’t forget to rely on God for your strength and allow the people that God has put in your life to help you.
Does anyone else have any suggestions to help girls who are trying to adjust to a new school?