Every week, I go through the “Girl Talk” section and the social media pages of Project Inspired and look for those seeking advice and counsel. I want to help answer some questions you may have about living out your Christian life and walk of faith! We want PI to be a safe place where you can ask questions.
Read this week’s question or to go to the Girl Talk forum here.
Recently, a PI Girl asked about what to do if she has no confidence and never feels good about herself. She said she doesn’t feel pretty or smart and feels frustrated.
The topic of beauty is mentioned in the Bible, and God reminds us that INNER beauty is more valuable than EXTERNAL beauty.
But the LORD said to Samuel, “Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The LORD does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart.” (1 Samuel 16:7)
Of course it’s healthy to want to look your best, to get dressed up or to wear your favorite style of clothing, but we never want to get wrapped up in the outside because God looks at the inside. We never want to compare ourselves to others or look at social media, magazines or TV when trying to look for a role model in this department. Remember, PI Girls, looks fade, but guess what? Character doesn’t fade. God looks at someone as a treasure who is gentle yet confident and has a godly spirit. God doesn’t want you to get your validation from secular media or from your peers at school who have no clue what it means to be a Proverbs 31 girl. We need to look to the Bible for a God-confidence, not a human arrogance or pride. We know pride goes before destruction and a fall, but we know when we walk in humility, then God will give us victory, amen?
How to Have a Strong God-Confidence with a Humble Godly Spirit
1. Look to God’s Word for strength: When I refer to strength, I am not speaking of being toned, physically fit or even masculine…no, I mean an internal strength that comes from God (Isaiah 40). God can give us that internal increase with His Word. God’s Holy Word, the Bible, is like living water to a dry soul. When you feel empty, refill your soul’s cup to overflow with God’s truth and love.
Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised. (Proverbs 31:30)
2. God says you are wonderfully made: When you have doubts about your appearance, don’t worry about what man says or even your opinion of yourself. God, the Master creator, made you so unique, beautiful and different that there is NO ONE ELSE like YOU! (Psalm 139:14) Your worth shouldn’t come from outer beauty, but you should realize God loved you so much He sent Jesus to die for you. That should tell you the amount of your worth.
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. (Psalm 139:14)
3. God says a gentle spirit is of value to Him: God doesn’t want us to be consumed by the latest trends or always worried about what we will wear. God will provide for us and wants us to trust in HIM. He will be our Father and will always clothe us not only physically, but spiritually too! God talks about even jewelry in the Bible—funny, huh?
Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight. (1 Peter 3:3-4)
4. We are not to compare: There is a quote by Theodore Roosevelt that says, “Comparison is the thief of joy.” I agree! Satan comes to steal, kill and destroy, it says in John 10! But we only lose what we give away, and we will not let the enemy steal our joy! He is a liar, an accuser, a thief and robber, and he masquerades as an angel of light! Satan is a counterfeit! When you start to feel you are losing your peace, joy or any goodness of God (those are the fruits of the Spirit in Galatians 5:22-23; read it for more detail). When we lose our peace, we know it is NOT God’s will for us. Please don’t compare yourself to people who don’t know you and don’t care. JUST BE YOU! Love you PI Girls so so much! 🙂
Not that we dare to classify or compare ourselves with some of those who are commending themselves. But when they measure themselves by one another and compare themselves with one another, they are without understanding. (2 Corinthians 10:12)
5. Let God lift you up: The Bible says if you feel low, humble yourself and God will exalt you. It also mentions in James 4 that if you are arrogant, proud or haughty, you will be lowered and humbled. Will you trust in God’s Word and walk in the Spirit? That is how we will be victorious and fight against the schemes of the enemy and the lies that even our own flesh tells us! Be strong and brave, PI Girls. YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL! <3
Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ… (2 Corinthians 10:5)
PI Girls, how do you change your perspective when you feel like you’re having a bad day? What helps you change your attitude and helps you walk in the truth?
Contact me via social media for any questions, advice, prayer or just to say hello: