Girl to Girl Talk: I Want to Go Into the Mission Field, but Where Do I Start?
Written by Christi Given | March 6, 2016
Every week, I go through the “Girl Talk” section of Project Inspired and look for those seeking advice and counsel. I want to help answer some questions you may have about living out your Christian life and walk of faith! We want PI to be a safe place where you can ask questions.
Recently, a PI Girl felt like she wanted to go on a missions trip and spread the Gospel; she felt that the Lord was speaking Isaiah 6 to her. The PI Girl feels like she is called to the mission field, but doesn’t know where to start.
Click here to join the PI Girl Talk forum.
The first thing is to pray about going into the mission field. Next, ask your parents or a mentor of yours where you can get involved, and see if it is realistic financially and also time-wise with school or work. Ask your youth pastor or leader if you are able to join a missions team and decide where you would want to go or where you feel God is calling you. Next, once you determine where you want to go, see how much funding you need to raise to go.
Again, like all things, we need to plan, prepare and pray. I am hoping this helps you, PI Girl, and that you are able to fulfill the calling on your life regarding missions.
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?” And I said, “Here am I. Send me!” (Isaiah 6:8)
Another thought regarding missions is that not everyone may have the means to go across the world or to another country, so look at your hometown or backyard as a mission field, too! There are always needs and we can be lights in the dark wherever we are.
And he said unto them, “Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.” (Mark 16:15)
Here’s a summary of my advice:
1. Pray: Ask God if you should go on the specific missions trip and if that is where He is calling you.
2. Ask your parents and mentors: Talk to those whom you respect or who are guardians over you to give you advice and/or permission to go on the missions trip.
3. Find out the details: Find out if you will need a visa, a passport, how much money, (and if you need to raise funds), if you need inoculations if going overseas and so forth.
4. Plan ahead and prepare: Don’t wait until the last minute to sign up, as mission trips get full. Make sure to save your money in advance for unexpected expenses, and make sure to take care of your health prior to traveling.
5. Listen to God’s voice: The Bible talks about the Lord Jesus being our shepherd and hearing His voice. We know that when the Lord tells us to go somewhere, we must obey. At times this isn’t easy and can be scary, but you can bet if you trust God and He calls you to where you are to go, He will make a way where there seems to be no way, amen?
PI Girls, have you ever been on a missions trip before, and if so, where did you start with regard to planning? Comment below to share your experience and places you have shared the Gospel! 🙂