Project Inspired started a group specifically for Girl Talk questions, which typically come from the Girl Talk chat wall on Facebook.
Click here to safely join our chat group.
This week on our Girl Talk forum, a PI Girl wants to know if it’s okay to skip out on a prom date with a guy and just go with a group of girlfriends instead. She said she wants to take a break from boys and dating for a little while.
With prom season on the horizon, there is a lot of pressure to find the right dress and the person to go with. What’s important in this season is to guard your heart, focus on Jesus and focus on family. We can get caught up in a web of emotions sometimes when it comes to boys. We need to put God first and remember that as we focus on the Lord, He will give us the desires of our hearts (Psalm 37:4).
Of course, it’s fine to just go with friends and enjoy going to prom in a group. You don’t need to put your worth or value in getting a prom date, and sometimes it’s fun to just enjoy with your friends. I always had a prom date and a group of us would ride together in a limo, but everyone has their seasons and their reasons for wanting to go with whomever they choose to go with.
If you feel like you want to participate in prom and other school activities, you can go with a guy friend or you can go with a group of girlfriends. Your identity is not in whether a guy asks you to prom. Also, if you do get asked out and have peace about it, go for it! Enjoy this season of your life, as it will be very special to reflect on later in life. Remember to take lots of photos, to be safe and to shine your light.
10 Pieces of Advice About Prom
1. Your worth does NOT come from a guy asking you out to prom.
2. Pray and ask God who should be your prom date and if you should go with a group of friends.
3. Guard your heart, mind and purity.
4. Focus on the Lord first.
5. Watch your emotions.
6. Keep school, family and friends as your focus after God in this season.
7. Know that you can have just as much fun with a friend at prom as you can with a serious date.
8. Make sure you dress modestly and represent the woman of faith you want to be and that it reflects who you are.
9. Keep your friends accountable on prom night (at prom after-parties, for example).
10. Carpool with a big group and dance the night away!
Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. (1 Peter 5:8, NIV)
PI Girls, have you gone to prom with a big group of friends? Comment below!