Girls with Swords: How to Be a Warrior for Christ
Written by Christi Given | October 4, 2015
Recently, a PI Girl asked about how to stand up for her faith. She said that she feels there is somewhat of a judgment toward religion and Christianity. She wants to be more bold in her faith, but doesn’t know how. Click here to read her whole post.
I would say that there does seem to be a discrimination against Christians, but we shouldn’t be surprised because Jesus warned us that these things must happen and that we WILL face persecution if we follow Him. Believers, we need to stand up in the time and day we are living in. The days are getting darker with the world becoming more opposed to God. We need to be fully equipped in the Word to be able to stand during the days ahead.
Beloved, do not be surprised at the fiery trial when it comes upon you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you. But rejoice insofar as you share Christ’s sufferings, that you may also rejoice and be glad when his glory is revealed. If you are insulted for the name of Christ, you are blessed, because the Spirit of glory and of God rests upon you. (1 Peter 4:12-14)
In a book that I am currently reading, Girls with Swords, by Lisa Bevere, she says:
“I heard the Spirit whisper that far too many factions of Christ’s body wield only pieces and fragments of His Word and no longer lift his Word as a whole…
“…in my mind’s eye I saw individuals lifting broken fractions of formerly whole weapons and battle standards. The hilts of swords were high, but these were useless without the extension and cutting power of the blades.” (page 22)
This excerpt from this book is so powerful and true! If our weapons are half broken as warriors, or aren’t sharpened, how can we protect ourselves in the last days? We need the Word of God to keep us sharpened and to keep us covered.
For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. (Hebrews 4:12)
Sometimes it is difficult going against the popular stream or current, or feeling that you may be the only one standing up for godliness and righteousness, but fear not, PI Girl, YOU ARE NOT ALONE! We are in the army of God and there are more with us than those in the world! (2 Kings 6:16) If you have accepted Jesus Christ (John 3:16) as your Lord and Savior, and believe with faith in your heart that He is the awaited Messiah, died on the cross and rose on the third day defeating sin and death, you have the power of the HOLY SPIRIT within you!
Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. (John 14:12)
Wow! Isn’t that amazing that the body of believers has the spirit of God in us?! How amazing! What an honor and what a blessing and huge gift that God would ALLOW us this access. Jesus even says that because we have the spirit of God, we will do even greater things than He did!
But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth. (Acts 1:8)
How do we stand as warriors in Christ?
1. Read the Bible and put on the full armor of God. A warrior doesn’t go out to battle unarmed. (Read Ephesians 6.)
2. We need not worry about being popular or liked. If you are worried about pleasing man, you will be a weakened soldier. You need to be concerned about your commander in chief’s orders.
Blessed are you when people hate you and when they exclude you and revile you and spurn your name as evil, on account of the Son of Man! (Luke 6:22)
3. Be armed up in prayer. A smart soldier is watchful and prayerful, not distracted, but sober in the spirit.
Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that the family of believers throughout the world is undergoing the same kind of sufferings. (1 Peter 5:8-9)
4. Be a bold and brave warrior. A strong warrior is not timid or ashamed of Jesus, but the Warrior Princess is armed up, bold and aware that people are dying because of the lack of knowledge (the Word of God). Be a rescuer, and speak life into people (Hosea 4:6).
5. Ask God for a boldness with wisdom from Him. The Bible says that the “righteous are as bold as a lion” (Proverbs 28:1). We have nothing to fear, you see, because the ALMIGHTY GOD is with us! Don’t be afraid, but rather, come to God and know that He will give you the words to speak to people in need. Your peers, friends and even family need you to stand up for truth in this day! Your light will shine in the darkness. You can do it, PI Girls!
Recommended reading: Girls with Swords: How to Carry Your Cross Like a Hero by Lisa Bevere
“Women, take up your swords! (The Word of God!)”
PI Girls, would you consider yourself to be a warrior or a worrier? Comment below! Let me know how I can be praying for you!