“Help! God Is Silent and I’m Tempted to Return to My Old Ways!”
Written by Ask Olivia | August 24, 2014
Hello there! I’m pretty new here. I have a question about relationships, but it’s not your usual boy-likes-girl question. Rather, it’s about my family. I’m a foster kid whose mom and literally almost the rest of my family have passed away. I have been through many foster homes (many of which have been abusive) and I have finally been reunited with my aunty from England (I’m South African and staying here). The problem is…she’s sinful, and I used to be, too, before I was saved. Everything just goes right in her life, and mine and my Christian family’s has been catastrophic. She makes her living as an alternative therapist, reading other people’s auras and fortunes and that’s really the only way we’re surviving, but the thing is she often fights with me about my beliefs even though she says she respects them. She claims that ‘a man with a beard’ is not the answer. I’m so tempted to go back to those pagan ways and God has been so silent in my life right now. Please, some help and guidance is all I need….
Hey Megan! Welcome to Project Inspired and thanks for entrusting your question to me. First, let me say how sorry I am for your hardship and for your losses. I completely understand how you can feel so forsaken in your situation. But let me remind you that you’re not alone.
I don’t know what’s going on with your aunt, but don’t assume that everything is going well with her. We all have times of struggle, and I’m sure she’s had her share.
I do want you to remember that the best Christians have suffered and struggled, but to keep God in our hearts through even the worst times is when our faith is truly tested. Let’s not forget Jesus’ suffering. He did that for us so that we would be redeemed. I pray that you don’t fall away from Jesus because of the false belief that He has left you. God already proved His love by giving His only son to you…to all of us. And He shows His love further with all the blessings that He bestows upon us daily. Unfortunately, we are often focused on the bad, allowing it to consume us, and we never see the good.
So, here’s what I think you should do:
- I’m not going to guess your aunt’s intentions, but if she says that she respects your beliefs, then hold her to that. Try not to argue with her about your faith. As a pagan, she is strongly against Christianity. She obviously believes that she is correct in her faith, and converting you back to a pagan would be a show of love in her eyes. But hold strong to your faith. Don’t argue. Just remind her that she respects your beliefs.
- Join a church. Surrounding yourself with other Christians will help strengthen your faith. And in times of weakness, having Christian friends will make it easier to endure.
- Read some past posts on PI, such as I Think I Have a Relationship with Christ, but I Can’t Feel Him! Am I Still a Christian?, 5 Tips for Praying When God Seems Distant and 10 Ways to Cope With Suffering. I think that these will help you understand and deal with your struggles.
- Know that this life is just a means to an end, and that only Jesus is the way, the truth and the life (John 14:6). He is the only way to heaven.
- Understand that God is never silent. Sometimes we just need to listen harder.
- Remember 1 Corinthians 10:13: “There hath no temptation taken you but such as man can bear: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation make also the way of escape, that ye may be able to endure it.” Your temptation has been endured by millions of others. There is a way out of it. The way out is God. So look to Him for your strength and in times of weakness, remember this verse.
Good luck and God bless!
Need some advice? Ask your relationship questions in the Ask Olivia Girl Talk forum or in the comments below and I might answer them in a future article!