Hey ladies, with the new school year fast approaching, some of you may be feeling a little anxious. Why? Well, as Christians, we’re called to glorify God in everything that we say and do, but we all know that the environment in most public schools makes that difficult. For example, many schools are filled with students who act, dress or speak immodestly. Maybe there are kids who bully others, are promiscuous or take drugs.
Some districts or individual teachers may not allow you to wear your favorite Jesus or Christian band tee or a cross/crucifix on your necklace. You may not be allowed to read your Bible during free time or evangelize to your friends. So, as a Christian girl, strong in your faith and deep in your love for Jesus, how do you maintain your Christian self? How do you remain loyal to your King in an environment that often shoves Him out? How do you survive?
Now, I understand that not all public schools are the same, so this post is for those of you girls who have struggled in the past and are concerned for the upcoming semester. For you, sweet girls, I share these tips and ask that you share some of yours!
- Remain deep in your faith. This means praying and reading the Bible every day. It’s so easy to get lost in a Godless environment, so if you saturate your life outside of school with your faith, it will carry you through those days and moments that are missing Him.
- Understand what it means to be in the world and not of it. There will be others around you who are not rooted in Christianity, or any other faith. Maybe they say they are and don’t live it, or they’re proud that they’re not. As Christians, we are called to recognize when we are living according to God’s rules or society’s rules. Know the difference and know when to step back. For example, gossiping, cheating, flirting, dressing immodestly or being rude to a teacher are all unchristian. So when your friends or peers act this way, don’t be a part of it.
- Don’t be afraid or embarrassed to be a Christian. Love your faith. If you’re not passionate about your love for Jesus, then it won’t be easy to be loyal to Him and glorify Him genuinely and unconditionally.
- Find confidence in being you. It’s not easy being a Christian girl in today’s world. But if you remain confident in your faith, then nothing and no one can negatively influence you.
- Don’t be a pushy Christian. Don’t push your faith on others. Oftentimes, Christians give Christians a bad name. Being a Christian is appealing when you’re acting like a Christian.
- Don’t inflate your value. You are a Christian. That’s great. It’s a beautiful thing. Sometimes you want to shout that from the rooftops because just knowing how much God loves you makes you feel so special. And you are special. But that doesn’t make you better than anyone else. We are all loved equally in God’s eyes. So don’t act as if you are better. Don’t demean others who are nonbelievers.
- Live your faith. If you’re a Christian, then act like one. Your peers won’t take you seriously if you say you are, but don’t act like one, dress like one or talk like one. Yes, we’re all sinners, but don’t let that be an excuse to willingly do something against your faith. If you follow your faith according to Christ’s teaching, then no one will question your Christianity or try to divert you away from your beliefs. If you do “fall short” continuously, your peers will either think that you’re not really a Christian, or worse, you might send the wrong message about what it means to be a Christian.
- Find like-minded friends. You may not find these friends at your school, so make friends with kids at your church or youth group. It’s really important to have people to talk to.
Ladies, have you ever felt different as a Christian in a public school? Have you struggled to maintain your Christian self? Share your stories and tips in the comments below. We love to hear from you!