My boyfriend and I sometimes go a little too far when we’re together. What can I do to avoid temptation?
Temptation is something everyone experiences at one point or another in life. The GREAT thing is that God won’t allow the enemy to trap you without a way out. The Bible says this:
“The temptations in your life are no different from what others experience. And God is faithful. He will not allow the temptation to be more than you can stand. When you are tempted, He will show you a way out so that you can endure” (1 Corinthians 10:13).
It’s awesome to know that God will always show us how to resist temptation! Here are a few tips to help in this particular life area:
- Make a commitment. Be sure to commit to staying pure in your relationships. Avoiding temptation begins with making a firm decision to not have sex before you’re married. Make sure your relationship with God comes first because your motive should ALWAYS be to please Him no matter what! Not wanting to hurt God will help motivate you to stay true to your decision. And if you’re really serious about it, try wearing a purity ring to symbolize this commitment. Also, it’s important to know that if you’ve already gone a little too far in your relationships, it’s NEVER too late to commit to waiting until marriage!
- Try dating in groups. Spending a lot of time with your boyfriend alone isn’t a good idea. The Bible says that “the spirit is willing, but the body is weak” (Matthew 26:41). Therefore, even after making a commitment to remain pure, it’s still important to avoid situations where temptation is likely to occur. Instead of spending a lot of time alone with your boyfriend, try going out with other couples whenever possible. Group dates can be really fun–try some of these great group date suggestions!
- Remove yourself from the situation. There may be times when you and your boyfriend are alone and temptation presents itself. It’s best to immediately remove yourself when this begins to happen. Go outside for a walk to get a breath of fresh air. Decide to go watch a movie with friends or go to the theater instead of watching TV at home. Or better yet, pull out the Bible and turn your date into a Bible Study. Do anything, but be sure to remove yourself from the temptation.
- Ask God for strength. The MOST IMPORTANT thing you can do to resist temptation is to rely on God for strength. Pray with your boyfriend often, especially before situations where temptation is likely to present itself. Remember, Jesus says that “for where two or three gather together as my followers, I am there among them” (Matthew 18:20). When you pray together, the enemy has less power and you become more cognizant of avoiding pitfalls. Also, be sure to memorize Scripture that you can use when you feel temptation is trying to come on board. Say it aloud until the enemy begins to flee.
- Love yourself! Always remember that you’re a daughter of God and are so precious in His sight! Value yourself enough to wait until you’re married before having sex. It’ll be so much more special when the union is holy before God!
What do you girls think? How do you avoid temptation? What are some other things that she could do?