How Do I Minister to the Lost Without Getting Pulled Into Darkness?
Written by Christi Given | March 22, 2017
We want to shine our light and minister to those in darkness, but we must also use caution to not get sucked into the world or into sin. There are many scriptures in the Word of God that tell us to share the good news, but also in Psalms 1, we are told to not walk the same path of the wicked. (Read Psalm 1:1-3.) How do you balance sharing the Gospel and not falling into temptation?
One clear scripture is “If anyone will not welcome you or listen to your words, leave that home or town and shake the dust off your feet” (Matthew 10:14).
The Bible tells us to not walk or sit with the wicked, and if man doesn’t accept you, they don’t accept Christ. The sinners Jesus sat with are those who repented, not remained in that sin, which is why Jesus said, “Go and sin no more…” (John 8:11).
People say all the time that Jesus hung out with sinners. Yes, we are to be with the lost, but not partake in their sin. We are all sinners, but Jesus hung out with those who TURNED from their sin. Some people purposely don’t turn, which is why God warns us to not sit or eat with adulterers or mockers. We must love people, but let us not get sucked into darkness.
10 Bible Verses on the Sharing the Gospel But Not Getting Caught Up in the World
1. Psalm 1:1: “Blessed is the one who does not walk in step with the wicked or stand in the way that sinners take or sit in the company of mockers, but whose delight is in the law of the Lord, and who meditates on his law day and night.”
2. Proverbs 4:14: “Do not set foot on the path of the wicked or walk in the way of evildoers.”
3. Psalm 26:5: “I abhor the assembly of evildoers and refuse to sit with the wicked.”
4. Proverbs 13:20: “Whoever walks with the wise becomes wise, but the companion of fools will suffer harm.”
5. Matthew 5:16: “In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.”
6. John 8:11: “And Jesus said, ‘Neither do I. Go and sin no more.’”
7. Ezekiel 8:24: “But if a righteous person turns from their righteousness and commits sin and does the same detestable things the wicked person does, will they live? None of the righteous things that person has done will be remembered. Because of the unfaithfulness they are guilty of and because of the sins they have committed, they will die.”
8. 1 Corinthians 5:11: “Now I am writing to you that you must not associate with anyone who claims to be a brother or sister but is sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or slanderer, a drunkard or swindler. Do not even eat with such people.”
9. 2 Corinthians 4:6: “For God, who said, ‘Light shall shine out of darkness,’ is the One who has shone in our hearts to give the Light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ.”
10. 2 Corinthians 6:14: “Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness?”
PI Girls, do you witness to people? How do you know how to balance being a light without getting sucked into tempting scenarios? Comment below!