Hey PI Girls! We are doing a series of posts on “How to Dress for Your Body Type,” asking ladies who have made it work and love their figure. The point is that every shape is beautiful, and everyone should embrace and love the natural beauty God gave them—no matter the size!
In these posts, we are going by the standard sizes in the fashion industry, but understand that they don’t apply to everyone. Hope you find these tips helpful!
Body type: Petite
Name: Julie Partin, Journalist
Question: What are some signs that you’re “petite”?
- When seeing you from behind, most people think you’re in middle school (and you can still wear your clothes from then).
- You’ve worn capris as normal-length pants before.
- You pretty much only have the option of shopping in the juniors section.
- Your neck starts to hurt when having a long conversation with a group of average-size people.
- Your decision of which shoe to buy is based on whether they even make it in your small size.
Question: Who are some of your style icons with your body type?
Answer: Kirsten Bell, Lucy Hale, Anna Kendrick, Zoe Kravitz, Rachel Bilson.
Question: When and how did you begin to love your body type?
Answer: Honestly, all through middle school and high school, I kept expecting to grow—taller, wider, curvier—and it just never happened. (As you can see in the picture with Nicole above, I am wearing 4 inch heels and am still that short!) I have always been petite and small (about 5’1”), and it has always been a challenge to find clothes that not only fit, but are flattering. I used to try to look taller and thinner, but once I realized how to dress smarter, life became much easier. It was also really helpful to know that most celebrities are surprisingly shorter than you expect. I came to terms with being cute instead of glamazon and it was very freeing.
Question: What are a few tips you have found helpful in dressing for your body type?
- Find specific brands that work for you. A lot of clothing brands will have “vanity sizing.” This means labeling clothes with sizes smaller than the actual cut of the items.
- Try to have your outfit cinch in at least one part of your body. If you have a loose top, try to have fitted jeans, or vice versa. Empire waists with belts work well, too.
- Large purses and handbags can be really overwhelming on a small frame. Try to find the smallest bag that can still hold all of your things.
- Pencil skirts can be great for a dressed-up look.
- Vertical lines and V-shapes are always your friends.
- Avoid bulky fabrics when choosing sweaters, jackets and blazers.
- Ankle boots are really fun to wear, but they work best with long tops or dresses, or with pants that are the same color. Otherwise they really shorten your legs.
- Don’t be afraid to experiment with your style. Try different trends that seem interesting, and if you end up getting them wrong, then at least you had fun!
What do you think, PI Girls? Are any of you out there a petite body type? Do you have any additional tips or tricks? What body type would you like to see us cover? Stay tuned next week for “How to Dress for Your Body Type: Tall Edition” featuring our very own Nicole Weider!
Find tips to dress for other body types here: