Beauty & Fashion
How to Dress for Your Body Type: Slim Edition
Written by Project Inspired | October 3, 2014
Hey PI Girls! We are doing a series of posts on “How to Dress for Your Body Type,” asking ladies who have made it work and love their figure. The point is that every shape is beautiful, and everyone should embrace and love the natural beauty God gave them—no matter the size! In these posts, we are going by the standard sizes in the fashion industry, but understand that they don’t apply to everyone. Hope you find these tips helpful!
Body Type: Slim
Name: Kylie Hodges, TV host
Question: What are some signs that you’re “slim”?
Answer: Here are a few signs:
- When the booty of your skinny jeans is still a little baggy.
- When you wear a strapless dress and are constantly checking to make sure it isn’t sliding down.
- When you have to make an extra notch in your belt to make it tighter.
- When you feel like you’re shaped like Gumby, with noodle arms and chicken legs!
Question: Who are some of your style icons with your body type?
Answer: Catt Sadler from E! News always looks chic and isn’t afraid of colors that pop. I especially love Taylor Swift because she is slim and she gives vintage looks a modern touch. Zooey Deschanel is another vintage-modern gal that I love. I would just love to go shopping with her! And last but certainly not least, Lauren Conrad—I love her signature bohemian chic look.
Question: What are some clothing brands that you have found work well for your body type?
Answer: LC Lauren Conrad is perfect for me in so many ways. First of all, her line is exclusively at Kohl’s, so it’s accessible and affordable! Second, she makes classic staple pieces with a feminine twist. I love pairing an oversized button-up silk blouse with high-waisted denim and heels. Also, Target has some great finds! I’m a fan of their sundresses and maxi skirts. And because I tend to have expensive taste but am on a budget, I visit a lot of resale and vintage shops, in addition to always searching the clearance racks at Macy’s and Bloomingdale’s.
Question: When and how did you begin to love your body type?
Answer: The journey to loving my body was a bit of a long one. In high school, a lot of boys used to tease me for being flat-chested and having a flat backside. Because I was self-conscious about these qualities, I developed a self-deprecating sense of humor to mask the insecurities. But now, I love my body! After moving to Los Angeles and pursuing my dreams, I have found myself as a person and not only learned to love my body, but also myself. I realized that the way I had been viewing myself was a warped version of how I actually looked. And since I was only given one body for this lifetime, I decided it was time to accentuate the positive and eliminate the negative. Negativity is contagious, but so is positivity! When you have self-love, you will exude happiness and it will be difficult for people to not feel the same way and see you the way you see yourself.
Question: What are a few tips you have found helpful in dressing for your body type?
Answer: I’ve found the following really helpful:
- As a slim girl, my goal is always to create the illusion that I have curves, too! Luckily for slim girls, our booty and chest will never be an issue with squeezing into tops and pants, so well-fitting clothes are the best place to start.
- Stretchy skinny jeans are my go-to staple.
- Pairing a flowy clothing item with a tight one (for example, a flowy lace top with tight jeans, or a body-hugging tank with a maxi skirt) makes a stick-straight girl look like a runway model. But make sure you are balanced! If you’re wearing all baggy clothes, it will look like you’re drowning in your clothes. Instead, think about an hourglass.
- If you’re slim and don’t have much for hips, think about wearing a flowy knee-length sundress and then belting it around the waist. Boom! Instant curves.
Find tips to dress for other body types here:
Which of these words would you use to describe your personal style?
Like what you’ve read here? Well, Nicole’s BRAND NEW book is up for pre-order and contains so much more of this. Pre-Order today and receive some fun FREE gifts!