Back to School
How to Get Through the End of the Semester
Written by Christi Given | June 19, 2016
Every week, I go through the “Girl Talk” section of Project Inspired and look for those seeking advice and counsel. I want to help answer some questions you may have about living out your Christian life and walk of faith! We want PI to be a safe place where you can ask questions.
As finals are approaching and school is wrapping up, life can feel overwhelming and stressful. A PI Girl wrote on our Girl Talk forum and asked for advice and prayers for the last weeks of the semester before summer.
Click here to view the post or to join our Girl Talk forum.
How do you cope with finals, reports, papers and wrapping up the semester? Here is some advice for finishing the semester well.
First, you need balance between working, relaxing and treating yourself. You need to take it one day at a time, focus on one project at a time and one subject at a time. Don’t overload yourself and think of everything at once. The other side of the spectrum in having balance is to not procrastinate. Make sure to take study breaks and to treat yourself, whether to a movie with a friend or a simple ice-blended drink from your local coffee shop.
Some other suggestions are to review all of your notes, partner with a study buddy or peer to get advice and, to make finals more fun, reward yourself after all of the hard work! There’s so much to look forward to, so don’t give up, don’t dump-truck yourself with information, study little by little and, before you know it, you’ll be relaxing at the beach with family and friends!
Finally, if you need help, don’t hesitate to ask your teacher! When you ask your professor for extra assistance, it will show you actually care. You may even get a higher grade for putting forth more effort by asking for extra help.
Tips on Finishing School Well and Coping with Finals/Exam Stress
1. Have balance: Make sure to rest, eat healthy and work hard. Take care of yourself and put in the effort. It will pay off—and before you know it, you will be on vacation!
2. Don’t procrastinate: Don’t cram-study at the last minute. And make sure to review the semester notes you have taken.
3. Study one topic at a time: Don’t dump-truck your brain with TMI (too much information) that will overwhelm you and make you scatterbrained. Study one subject at a time and review the proper study guides.
4. Ask your teacher for extra help: This will reveal to your professor that you actually care and you may get extra study tips.
5. Treat yourself with a reward: When you work hard, it’s a great incentive to keep going by treating yourself with a special snack or favorite ice cream, coffee, chocolate or whatever your preferred indulgence is.
PI Girls, how do YOU cope with finals and end-of-the-school-year pressures? Comment below and share your advice!
Find me on social media @ChristiGiven for any more questions or prayer requests or if you need advice! We love you, PI Girls!