Back to School
How to Handle Fear About Being in a New School
Written by Christi Given | August 15, 2017
Sometimes being new at school in general can be intimidating, so you are not alone! Here are 10 ways to handle fear and/or deal with being new at middle school, high school, college or even a job environment.
1. Be open to new beginnings: Look at this as a new chapter in your life and realize God has the best plan (Jeremiah 29:11).
2. Be open to making new friends: There is a song that goes “Make new friends but keep the old, one is silver and the other is gold.” This is a great motto (salute the Girl Scouts!)…this is something to stick to in life.
3. Enjoy the journey: There is a great quote I love, which in a way is an oxymoron, yet is truthful and impactful. The quote is “The only thing that is constant is change.” This gives you an open perspective in life.
4. Be kind to others: Someone around you may be feeling kind of out of place as well or may need a smile or an act of kindness, so instead of focusing on yourself, look to be kind to others. This will help you on your new exploration.
5. Participate: Whether this is in friendships, group activities, class or work, be a team player and a good sport.
6. Find a study partner: If you are in class and feel like a Lone Ranger, reach out to someone and exchange numbers to have a study buddy. It’ll make class better and also will be good to have a point person to connect with if you happen to be absent or need advice, and vice versa.
7. Talk to the lonely person: One way to cure loneliness is to reach out to someone. If you are shy, ask God to give you boldness to step out to help another person.
8. Include others: Don’t be a mean girl or be cliquey; it never feels good leaving someone out. Be inclusive and love others, and treat them the way you would like to be treated.
9. Pray: Seek the Lord about your new environment, pray for protection and also ask for God’s hand to be on your life. Prayer is key in the journey of faith. You never know who you may meet or how your life will change, so trust God (Isaiah 55, Proverbs 3:5-6).
10. Read God’s Word: Reading God’s Word is not only encouraging, but is also like clothing yourself with protection. We must cover our minds and thoughts with the truth, and the sword of the spirit will combat the lies of the enemy. (Read Ephesians 6.) Don’t believe the lie that you are alone or unwanted, or that you will never adjust to your new school or workplace, because you will! Just be strong and enjoy the ride!
PI Girls, how do you deal with being new at school?